LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteenSchmidt

Open VI reference without refees

Hi,

I suggest an option added to the Open VI Reference primitive to open that VI reference without any refees. I suggest option bit 10, i.e. option 0x200h:

OpenWithNoRefees.png

The demand for this arises when you want to access methods and properties of VIs that may be broken, while on the other hand you don't have any need to run those VIs - for instance in one of my current tools (BatchEditor) where I'm tasked with investigating hundreds of VIs simultaneously of which some could be broken or missing dependencies. Other situations would be tools for traversing project trees for instance. Opening a large number of healthy VI references takes a while, and when something is broken in a VI, opening even a single reference could take 30 seconds to minutes.

Currently you can suppress the "loading" and "searching" dialogs by setting option 0x20h on the Open VI Reference primitive, but that only loads the refnum silently as far as that will get you. Opening the refnum takes the same amount of time as if you could see those dialogs, and you are rewarded with an explorer window if a dependency search fails. I just want a way to open a VI refnum without even starting to look for dependencies, thus very quickly and guaranteed silently.

The relevant people would know that this request isn't that hard to implement, as it is kind of already possibly using some ninja tricks. I'd like such an option to be public.

Cheers,

Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
21 Comments
Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast

Wow, has it been 7 years?

There's a private Application method called "Open.VI Without Refees" that basically does this.

Jim_Kring_0-1608663639322.png

Jim_Kring_2-1608663781442.png

I've tried to use it and it seems to work well, however, it seems to end up breaking links to Express VI instances (and might also have similar problems with Malleable VIs, but I haven't tried it yet). Here's a screenshot of a broken VI that can no longer find its express VI instance.

Jim_Kring_3-1608663867112.png