LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manu.NET

New "Close all executing VI's" menu item in Labview ...

Hello,

It would be nice to add a new menu item in Labview IDE, which could close all executing VI's.

This could solve the problem of "running Modal VI's" which can "block" an execution.

This could also be helpfull to "clear" the execution context when you have bad closed "detached and assynchonous executing VI's".

The top, would be to get a report (a list of VI's in a window) of the forced closed VI's ... It would be helpfull for analysis.

Manu.net

Manu.net
3 Comments
manu.NET
Active Participant

Hello,

My idea would not be able to kill the "Blocked modal VI's", because when a modal VI is running,

the LabView menuItems are also unreachable !

But the "close all running VI's" could be helpful, during the application development process, to kill all pending

"asynchronous running Vi's" ... due to bad application cleanup.

(It could replace the "Close Labview" and then "Close all running VI's") 

Manu.

Manu.net
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

This seems pretty close to this - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Need-a-Way-to-Exit-LabVIEW-Code-if-a-MODAL-Window-is/i...

Also, look at the comments there for an existing solution.

This is and has been my number 1 request for LabVIEW for many years now.  I don't see how anyone who works with Actor Framework isn't clamoring for this.   Some weeks, when I'm debugging runaway actors, I probably spend 10-50% of my work hours just waiting for labview to exit and finally close all those vis that I could never find and close, and then reloading my 10,000 vi project, making a small change for debug purposes, then locking it all up again, and repeating.

Edit: and before someone suggests it, I have tried utilities like "kill 'em all.vi" and our internally created "Abort everything" vi which attempt to kill everything in memory.   Aside from the fact that they take about half an hour to run, they don't seem to actually get the job done.   Hell, sometimes even labview can't get it done when I've selected File->Exit and I finally have to kill labview from task manager.