LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CrystalTech

New Front Panel Controls

I feel I am the only one who thinks the Front Panel is archaic.  I would like NI to develop new controls. e.g. left/right/up/down arrows to name 1.  I would also like NI to provide a minimum of 5 different styles of controls, or allow us more flexibility to design our own.  I'm so tired of the button and control selection looking so "yesterday".   NI has done such a great job at updating the diagrams, but I feel the FP needs Much Attention!  Please post your thoughts on this (agree or disagree).
11 Comments
A-T-R
Mads
Active Participant

Instead of "5 different styles" I would instead love to see them move away from the "modern" style as the default, and more or less only show the system styled controls. The system style should then be expanded to include system styled graphs etc.

The only addition to the system styled controls that would be interesting is the "flat" controls that has been suggested here on the Exchange earlier; to allow you to build spreadsheet-like controls e.g.

It should still be possible to create custom controls when they needed of course - and as you mention - the customization should then allow more freedom than it does today.

CrystalTech

A:T:R, Thank you for the link.  I like the rectangular style LED Button you posted.  Unfortunately, there are still a few who defend the way NI allows us to customize.  I have used this feature many times, but it is extremely limiting, and the only thing you can import is Bitmap pics.  This in itself is a limiting factor when you want to resize the control.  I also program in Adobe Flash, and buttons are limited only by your imagination because you start with a completely blank slate.  The Graphics are Vector with the ability to also import a picture metafile or a bitmap.  I don't expect NI should copy that verbatim, but it would be nice if we could get a major upgrade otherwise.  I really like NI as a progressive company, and I am sure they can step up to the challenge if they just decided to do so.

elset191
Active Participant
another somewhat related link
--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
CrystalTech

The link for the new controls was very impressive, thank youI still state my caseThese are all from Bitmap Pictures and cannot be resized without being distorted or pixilatedAlso, the cumbersome effort to achieve these controls is another reason I would like NI to step up to the plateIt is time NI updates the controls or ability to create controls with the same vigor and competence they have with the continual updates of diagrams and peripheralsAm I asking too mush of NII think not

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> It is time NI updates the controls or ability to create controls with

> the same vigor and competence they have with the continual updates

> of diagrams and peripheralsAm I asking too mush of NII think not.

Although no one will disagree that the controls need updating, I do want to point out that only four years ago we introduced the XControl that provides you with extreme flexibility to design and implement controls. For a lot of things, such as drawing arbitrarilly scaled vector graphics behind an otherwise transparent boolean button, the work can be done without a lot of effort (other than generating the drawing code itself).  If you're not familiar with XControls, they may very well work for you as a workaround until such a time as NI acts on this idea. 

CrystalTech
Thanks.  I had upgraded to 8.5 (now 8.6) less than 2 years ago and had not caught on about XControls.  I briefly looked into it and will try this to see what it can do.  I hope the vector graphic tools are flexible, but I must say, at least this is a step forward!  Thanks again and will keep you all posted.
Naqqash

A very nice idea I was also thinking about. UI community at ni.com are also coming up with new interactive themes as mentioned in the above link but I think NI should do more for it.

Naqqash
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I think this idea should be closed as a duplicate of this one:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Update-Front-Panel/idi-p/1020307

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

Even though this idea was posted first, I am going to close this as a duplicate. The other idea incorporates this functionality and has more votes thereby giving it a better shot of being implemented by R&D.