From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WG-

Need edit window for large string constants

Well as the title says...

In the string constant you are able to make a scrollbar visible but this is still inconvenient when only see 2 lines of your whole string when you have a string constant of 50 lines or so... and you 9 out 10 times you don't want to create a bigger field because it messes with your diagram.

Therefore a small popup with a only a large textfield would grately simplify things.

I came up with this idea when I was writing a error message and there wasn't much space to type the string in, I also had this, http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Need-Edit-Window-for-New-Cluster-Constants/idi-p/12082..., idea in my backhead.

What do you guys think?

6 Comments
WG-

Oh yes double clicking (is preferable I think) pthe string constant would open the popup.

ASInc

I'd like to see the ability to collapse string constants to an icon like we can in LV2010 with Clusters.  Strings for dialog-type messages and the like often take up inordinate amounts of BD space, and rarely do you need to view or edit them, its usually a constant into a one-button dialog, inside a case structure.  Double-clicking the icon-ized constant could open up a window with a nice big textarea control for editing. 

WG-

Now I think of it the same also counts for big array constants... Maybe there should be a list which should have the feature to collapse constants to a small icon;

- Cluster (already done)

- Array

- String

- ..?

I believe nothing else is needed... Those three elements take the largest space in blockdiagrams.

Ray.R
Knight of NI

Kudos..

Totally agree that we need this feature

Darren
Proven Zealot
Darren
Proven Zealot

The duplicate idea was implemented, and is available in LabVIEW 2012 and later.