LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Yedinak

Native support for IPv6

With the IPv4 address pool quickly getting used up I think we need to have native support for IPv6 connections in LabVIEW.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
27 Comments
Mark_Yedinak
Trusted Enthusiast

And here we are 7 years after I initially posted the idea and there is still no IPv6 support.

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
PhillipBrooks
Active Participant

Recurring theme with networking features/functionality.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Native-SSH-and-SFTP-Support/idi-p/1141529

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Mark_Yedinak
Trusted Enthusiast

Yes, it is. It seems like NI is not interested in keeping LabVIEW up to date with respect to networking. You would think they would be all over this given IoT, which is directly in their market space. Maybe they think all those remote sensors should just transmit everything in the clear. Very displeased with NI's lack of action in this area.

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

toshas

Networking (and IOT as part of it) got many new enhancements in past 10 years:

IPv6/security(SSH/SFTP/SSL/TLS)/protocols(WebSockets/MQTT/etc).

Serious update of almost all networking features are required for Labview.

White papers like this one is really the shame

A Practical Guide for Connecting LabVIEW to the Industrial IoT 

There are several ideas here in Idea Exchange about networking features, but all of them should be taken into account.

As Labview user and fan I would like to use native features instead of annoing integration with third-party solutions.

MVidal
I felt the very same @toshas:

Earlier this year I talked to Pedro Vargas, Field Engineer from National Instruments in my area, regarding our concern about the lack of support with things like you guys have mentioned in this thread.

His response was that maybe our company was better with something like Python for our "small" projects.

Quite frustrating for us to hear that, but maybe he was right. After more than 10 years renovating our LabVIEW licence every year, being a certified developer for some time myself, investing resources developing the missing libraries we needed (like COAP, MQTT and others), getting excited about LabVIEW NGX, out of frustration, we finally decided to move our software assets to a Python based framework.

It may take us the rest of the year completing a comparable library, but we are starting to feel again that we have a tool that help us to deliver solutions. The reason I had two decades ago when I decided to learn LabVIEW.
Mauricio Vidal
VIDAL & ASTUDILLO Ltda.
http://www.vidalastudillo.com
perj

During webinar about what's new in LabVIEW 2020 and NXG 5.0 I asked a question about future support for IPV6 in LabVIEW/NXG. This is the answer I received afterwords:

"As far as IPv6 support in LabVIEW, it’s currently in our backlog but not prioritized. So it’s a possibility that it will get introduced in a future version of LabVIEW. At the moment for LabVIEW NXG we do not have IPv6 on the roadmap. That can always change if we get enough feedback that the support is needed."

So, I guess there is no reason to expect NI support for IPV6 for the next years to come.

Per Jørgensen

Jotron as, Norway

RavensFan
Knight of NI

perj,

You can help it along if you registered your vote for it by clicking the Kudo star!