LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Yedinak

Native support for IPv6

With the IPv4 address pool quickly getting used up I think we need to have native support for IPv6 connections in LabVIEW.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
27 Comments
Mr.Mike
NI Employee (retired)

Why can't I kudos this more than once?  😞

I'd really like to see NI get ahead of the curve on IPv6 adoption.  I have no idea how hard it is technically, but it's about time.

-- Mike
wevanarsdale

I will need IPv6 for LabVIEW applications within in 2 years.

MichaelW.
NI Employee (retired)

We recognize that IPv6 support will become a necessity, and we are laying the groundwork to make that happen.

Cheers!

_Chris

And for all platforms!

VP

Urgent! IPV6 is critical for our applications. We must have this feature in LabView, otherwise we would seek other ways to complete our testing.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

> We must have this feature in LabView, otherwise we would seek other ways to complete our testing.

NI releases new versions of LV in August, so even if they started working on it now and have it ready for the next release (which seems unlikely), it would still take 10 months before you can get it.

If you plan on using LV, I suggest you do some more searching around (including calling NI) to see exactly what your needs are and whether there is already LV code which meets them. I know that there are a couple of IPV6 packages I saw online (example).

High Speed Avionics is moving towards IPv6.  I am also going to have to find a different test solution, or patch in some other parties code to communicate to our products.  I don’t think I have used an interface that NI did not already have integrated and working in LabVIEW until now.

SNMP would also be a BIG help!!  Thanks

Brian_Powell
Active Participant

Can some of you comment about which things in LabVIEW need to be IPv6-aware?  Just the TCP and UDP VIs?  VISA?  The web server?  Network streams?  Network Shared Variables?  Everything?  Help us prioritize.

Mark_Yedinak
Trusted Enthusiast

Brian,

I think it should be supported for all interfaces that currently support IPv4. More systems are supporting IPv6 and it is only a matter of time when it will be widely used. I would love to see LabVIEW support it before everything switches over rather than playing catch-up.

Palmbaybob,

PM me and I can forward you a SNMP library that I developed. It currently only supports SNMPv1 but I have been using it without any issues for years.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Brian_Powell
Active Participant

Let's pretend we can't flip a magic switch and convert all of LabVIEW to be IPv6-aware.  What functions are most important to have first?

Here's my stab at a descending-order prioritization...

* The core TCP and UDP functions.

* VISA (maybe HiSLIP only?)

* The other "protocols" functions such as SMTP, FTP, HTTP

* Network streams

* Web server/services

* Everything else...

If we do the first one, several others may be easy--such as VIs built on top of those core functions.  Some will be more difficult, because they use different networking code under the hood.