From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fgrootent

NI-Industrial Communications for IEC 61850 support for INT64

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Standard IEC 61850 Allows INT64 this is not support by NI-Industrial Communications for IEC 61850.

Add support for INT64.

9 Comments
ThreeLions

Hello,

INT64 is supported from spec2.0 of IEC 61850 which released on 2010. However our source code is based on spec1.0. Until now, there is no plan to publish the next version of IEC61850 toolkit or patches. So we cannot support INT64 in recent time.

IEC61850 toolkit can support INT8, INT16 and INT32 now. And we will do update for datatype when we claimed to support spec2.0.

Thanks!

fgrootent

IEC 61850 is used often in the energy market (micro)grids since NI is also atctive in this market It and the enrgy market is still growing. I think it is wise to keep up with the standard now we probely won't use labview because they don't support IEC61850 2.0. Regards Fred

ThreeLions

Hello Fred,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Adding support for INT64 and other new features that include in spe2.0 is a really excellent choice. As you said, it will consolidate our position, also develop potential market for NI.

However, it will comsume greater efforts due to there are many difference in spe1.0 and spe 2.0. For support INT64, we will change the datatype of many VIs' interface and dependent underlying codes. Also, it needs to be signed by related leaders. So it is a complex task actually.

Of course, spe2.0 will be supported in future and I suppose we could consider your requirement for a start perhaps. So what about your project? If you have bought the IEC61850 toolkit or not? Those are useful informations for our decision.

Thanks!

fgrootent

Yes, we have a license to install the toolkit. Project is to simulate behaviour of microgrid Create simulators(PV, Battery, generator, Load, etc) with LabVIEW that is input for a RTU controller(this is the device under test) which will send response to next Layer OSGP server by using IEC 61850 Protocol.

fgrootent

Another thing is that I have a proposal for the customer to replace the RTU with CRIO.

ThreeLions

Hello Fred,

Thanks for your information. However I am sorry to say that we have not an enough effort for developing the feature of INT64 right now.

If we begin the INT64 support, we need to update and test the stack of IEC61850 toolkit and other related components. It will be a large project. Moreover, once we decide to support new features in spe2.0, we will add whole new features instead of INT64 only.

Once again, I'm really sorry about this. But I suppose is there any other workaround for transferring INT64 to other datatype or spliting INT64 data.

Thanks!

fgrootent

Hi, I went friday to a conference about IEC61850, there wil be an relative small update for IEC61850 to version 2.1 next year or at least in Q1 2018. and there are busy with version 3.0. For the INT64 there is a workaround but as you mentioned before there is more than just INT64. Would be nice if you can inform me about future updates or plans for NI IEC61850. Regards Fred

ThreeLions

Hello Fred,

Thanks for your sharing. The information is useful for us to making the next decision. And no problem, I will inform you new updates or plans about IEC61850 toolkit in future.

Best Regards!

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.