LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CaseyM

Move Individual Control Properties from Shortcut Menu to Properties Tab Control

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Say you want to have disable all run-time shortcut menus save a few.  If you have many FP controls this either means disabling all run-time shortcut menus but a few (very tedious) or unchecking the "Allow default run-time shortcut menus" option in VI Properties and re-creating every menu item (also tedious and not even possible for all shortcut menu items like those in arrays).

Options like "Enable Run-Time Shortcut Menu" should be on tab control page for the specific control, thus allowing this property to be set for multiple controls at once.  Also, it doesn't make sense for a control specific property to be stuck with the rest of the "Window Appearance" properties.

There are also other properties that would benefit from the move to the control properties' tab control:

-Synchronous Display

-Skip while tabbing (on the properties tab control, but not setable if multiple controls have been selected)

I'm sure there are others that people can list in the comments.

CLA CLED AF Guild
4 Comments
D_Hooks

Agreed, when multiple controls are selected while editing there should either be more right-click menu options, or the Properties window should contain a lot more options.  It seems silly that I can't change multiple controls to indicators, reinitialize multiple controls to their default values, disable the run-time shortcut menus of multiple controls, etc.  

All properties that exist for all of the controls selected should be shown, like in iTunes where I can change the artist, album title, cover artwork, etc for multiple MP3s all at once.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

@Dan: read my 11th comment on Every GUI Programmer's Dream... I have considered making this a new Idea since it supersedes my original Idea.

@Casey: Would better design-time tools - such as being able to easily select several controls and modify properties - be a viable solution? Or are you specifically interested in Tab Controls overriding contained elements' properties? Is this a design-time wish, or a run-time wish (i.e., programmatically controlling the Tab's override properties)?

CaseyM
Active Participant
I meant design-time.  The tab control I was referring to was the tab control property page that pops-up for each control when you right click at design-time and choose "Properties".  I'm pretty much advocating what you said in your first sentence.
CLA CLED AF Guild
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.