LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altenbach

More selective autowiring

While there are ways to temporaily disable autowiring, some should never happen in the first place. For example if the resulting wire has a net right-to-left flow, it should not be created at all!

Let's have a look at the following simple scenario (see picture):

Place an "add" primitive (or almost anything else!), then use ctrl-drag to create a second copy right below it. (Sometimes we need to add a few different things in parallel!). LabVIEW immediately connects a random input and output with a circuitous backwards wire for no good reason at all. 😞

If I really wanted them to be connected, I definitely would have placed them side-by-side!!!

Idea summary: if any auto-generated wire would result in a net backwards dataflow, it should not be created at all!

4 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

In a recent post, I illustrated an interesting wiring pattern auto-generated by the "Create VI" feature, which seems to indicate that a 360 is apparently not something the auto-wire algorithm shies away from. Luckily for me, these are the only occasions (with "Remove and Rewire") where I have to cope with these quirks.

I have stayed away from any auto-features (including cleanup) for exactly these reasons. Your suggestion sounds to me like a vote for world peace. It wouldn't even make me feel good.

Thoric
Trusted Enthusiast

Auto-wire generally is helpful, but I agree it makes silly mistakes like this. If you find this happening then, whilst still dragging the new object, try tapping spacebar to temporarily disable auto-wiring. It saves the headache of having to select and delete those unhelpful wires.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

ReneW

This silly mistakes are the reason why I disabled the auto wiring in general. I would appreciate if the behaviour of the auto wiring function would be more reasonable. In this case I would love to use use it.

PaulG.
Active Participant

I disable autowire for this very reason. This is only one "silly" mistake it makes. The algorithm that makes the wiring decisions needs some work.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.