LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darin.K

More Right-Click options with multiple BD objects selected

I am a habitual right-clicker, it is an ergonomical method to perform many tasks , so long as the right-click menu isn't too long and is configured well.  When I select multiple BD objects I would like to have more options than 'Properties' from the right-click menu.  In particular I would like to be able to Clean Up Selection and  Remove Broken Wires from Selection.  Other possibilities include Align, Arrange, Group and Create SubVI from selection.

Disclaimer:  One ulterior motive is to provide an alternative implementation for Remove Broken Wires (Ctrl+B) so that the keyboard shortcut can be freed for its much more natural use as Bold.   Of course I am advocating a selective approach where it is limited to a selection.  IMO the VI wide implementation is more trouble than it is worth, and certainly is not so useful that it should occupy prime keyboard shortcut real estate.  

Message Edited by Darin.K on 05-07-2010 09:53 AM
6 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Yes, agreed. "I like to right click on things... too"

One small part of the "more right click methods that can be performed on multiple objects" include Every GUI Programmer's Dream - the ability to bulk-create refs etc. - and the ability of a Hierarchical Find. I should also copy a comment I made yesterday as the 11th comment on Every GUI Programmer's Dream:

"

More generically, if you highlight several terminals, you should be able to perform any action that is common to all: Change to Indicator/Control, Change to Constant, Hide/Show Control/Indicator, Find Instances (of typedef), Find Locals, View as Icon...

(And even more generically, if you highlight any group of objects on either the FP or BD, common actions should be available. A small step toward this was applied between 8.6.1 and 2009, which allowed you change common properties of objects in bulk. Proposed: right-click access to their methods in bulk... I think this request warrants a new Idea since it broadens the scope of this Idea too wide.)

"

Message Edited by JackDunaway on 05-07-2010 12:02 PM
Davidek
Active Participant

@Darin.K wrote:

One ulterior motive is to provide an alternative implementation for Remove Broken Wires (Ctrl+B) so that the keyboard shortcut can be freed for its much more natural use as Bold.   >

A bit of topic, but regarding your ulterior motive keep in mind that ctrl + B isn't the default shortcut for bold in all languages. On Swedish localized software it's ctrl + F for instance. Would maybe be nice to be able to customize your own keyboard shortcuts in the dev enviroment under settings somewhere. Come to thing off it I've never checked if it's possible. New Idea??
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

You can certainly customize the keyboard shortcuts in the IDE, however, there are a few holes.  And by holes I mean huge smoking craters.  For example, you can nuke the default Ctrl-B shortcut, but you can not attach it to the Bold Style menu item.  Plus, you can not assign shortcuts to user items in the Tools menu.

Kudos here if you haven't already:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Use-standard-Windows-keyboard-shortcuts-to-change-font...

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Allow-Keyboard-Shortcuts-for-User-Items-in-Tools-Menu/...

<rant>

Then,  like me you will discover the joy and efficiency of a LV environment where all of the QD and menu shortcuts, palettes and settings are customized to match your whims.  About that time you will have to move to a new LV version or a different machine and discover just what a royal pain in the arse it is to reproduce those changes.

Until NI recognizes the need for easy portability of these customizations and does something about it, not much sense in asking for them IMO.  Personally, I can use DropBox and SyncToy to keep my machines consistent, but when you see the number of different file locations I have to synchronize, including application folders, you'll see the problem.  All of these things belong in a single folder that is amenable to transport using Cloud services or the old-fashioned USB drive, followed by the option to boot LV using those settings.  What other software these days has you digging around the Application directory?

</rant>

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

The basic functionality of this idea has already been captured in Jack's idea on Every GUI Programmer's Dream. I am going to close this idea as duplicate and encourage everyone to vote on Jack's idea since it has more votes and will have the best chance to be seen by R&D.

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Davidek
Active Participant

Darin, if I could Kudo you rant I would 🙂 You'll have to make due with kudos on your ideas instead.

/David