From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JasonD_at_UML

Metadata input for PNG, JPG, BMP Write VIs

I'd really like the ability to write some metadata information in the PNG Write (and read from Read) VIs. JPG, BMP would be nice for completeness.

Lately I'm using PNGs a lot. The W3.org spec and most PNG readers allow the use of the "tEXt" chuck tag to allow labels for simple text, keywords include: Title, Author, Description, Copyright,... -- simple stuff.

I'd modify the built-in "Write PNG File.vi" but it is password protected 😞

My workaround is to write the PNG normally, then tweak the binary file, inserting the tEXt chuck myself, just before the IEND tag, with size and CRC-32 considered.

I would really like to see it built in. Perhaps a cluster input with some of the reserved keywords. It seems functionally like a simple concatenation on the file IO stream prior to IEND and file close.

Here's the W3 spec for PNG

W3 PNG Specification

Thanks!

4 Comments
Jervin Justin
NI Employee (retired)

Hi Jason,

We just launched a new branch of the NI Idea Exchange to foster ideas for LabVIEW Add-ons. The intent was to create a place for LabVIEW Add-on developers (both NI R&D and developers in the community) to find ideas that matter to the community.

This is part of our ongoing effort to enable LabVIEW developers to productize LabVIEW code. Some of the other things we’ve done this year were adding Licensing & Activation for 3rd Parties, launching the Compatible with LabVIEW Program and the LabVIEW Tools Network.

We’ve identified your particular idea as one that could potentially be made into an Add-on and would like to move it to this new Idea Exchange so that Add-on developers can easily find it. Would this be okay with you?

Thanks!

Jervin Justin
NI TestStand Product Manager
JasonD_at_UML

Yes, sounds good to me!

slovintern

Did you make it?

GregSands
Active Participant

As a workaround for now, you can do this for PNG files using some of the IMAQ (Vision) routines: IMAQ Write Custom Data, IMAQ Write Image And Vision Info, and the corresponding Read routines.  But I agree it would be nice to be supported with the standard image file routines also.  I'm not sure if BMP or JPG have the same ability to include metadata.