LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_carl

Mechanism for Accessing DVR Data from Control/Indicator/Wire

I often work with DVRs, usually using typdefs or classes for the underlying data.

It's a serious pain to access the typdef or class from the DVR itself (control, indicator, or wire).  There's no option for accessing this through the menu, and I often find myself dropping code in my block diagram to output the data type, then right-clicking on the data type and then from that menu opening the typdef or class.

The request: add a menu option for "Open Data Type Def." or "Show Data Class Library" to directly access the underlying type if it's a type def or class. This menu option could be exposed on wires, controls, and indicators.

_carl_1-1673552680629.png

3 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

In the mean time, you can right-click on the DVR ref and choose "Show Control".  From there, you can access the data type.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
_carl

Woah... crossrulz....you deserve more kudos than the 1 I'm able to give you!

I had no idea that feature existed.  And I've been working with DVRs for a while.  That...is...well, short of life-changing, but... will safe future me hours of annoyance!

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

If you still find you want that menu item, you can make your own shortcut menu plugin:

LabVIEW Shortcut Menu Plug-Ins - NI Community

Note that crossrulz's trick also works for queues, notifiers and user events.