LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andre.buurman@carya

Meaningful error message in case build path is too long for the application builder

Created Bug 1067802 to track the issue with unclear error reports when build paths are too long.

Please create a meaningful error message in case the application builder errors due to long path names.

The error below was ultimately fixed by shortening the output path in the build spec. It took me however more than half a day of fiddling around with alternative solutions to reach my end goal (https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Web-Technology-Lead-User/Hosting-WebVI-on-cRIO-following-KB-article/gpm-...).

While explaining it to my colleague it hit me that the build output path could be too long, shortened it, built it, deployed it, and it worked.

Build error.PNG

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
7 Comments
Christina_R
Active Participant
Status changed to: Declined

Created Bug 1067802 to track the issue with unclear error reports when build paths are too long.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
andre.buurman@carya
Active Participant

Hi Chistina,

The declined status seems a bit contradictory with the bug ID in it. But I recon it is part of something bigger related to the application builder in general?

Thanks anyway for creating a bug report. 

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Andre,

The Idea Exchange is supposed to be for new features.  Quite a few ideas are actually considered bugs and therefore closed, but documented in NI's bug tracking tool.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
andre.buurman@carya
Active Participant

Hi Crossrulz,

Thanks for the explanation, I thought it must be something like that.

Well it's all in the eye of the beholder 😉 For me it would be a useful feature, but you can also consider it a bug. All depends on whether it is or was a requirement inte first place.

Any way I'm happy it's on a to do list and hopefully a small into that can be scheduled into the next release.

Kudos to NIs quick response.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Kudos to NIs quick response.

You're welcome for the response, but I want to set your expectations at the right level: We can acknowledge an issue and still not get it fixed for quite a while, or ever. There are a lot of competing priorities. Moving this to "bug" does put it in the higher priority consideration bucket, but it isn't necessarily a commitment to fixing it.

andre.buurman@carya
Active Participant

Hi AQ,

I have the right expectation. I know the amount of work that you guys have is tremendous. For me it's enough for now to know that it's on a radar and will not be forgotten or closed without further consideration.

Sometimes you guys deserve a celebration for the improvement in feedback to the community over the past 5 years or so.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Thanks.