LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Muri777

Make the context help dynamically update with quickdrop

Currently, when you use context help and hover over a VI it shows terminals and a little snippet of what it does. I use this a lot. When using quick drop though, the context help doesnt dynamically change to each item selected or hovered over with the mouse. Its like this currently

labviewidea1.JPG

I would like to see it so that when I hover over an item in the quick drop, the help page updates so I can read it without having to drop it onto my back panel, read, then delete and try again. Like this

labviewidea2.JPG

11 Comments
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

That would be useful.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I'll add my kudos. Implementing this would require exposing an API for controlling the CH window's content from G. I wish we had that for a lot of other projects. So even though I doubt I would use this much (I tend to use QD for things I already know about and palette search when I don't, but that's just me), I'd like the side benefits.

elset191
Active Participant

This is a duplicate of an old idea of mine. 

Darren provided a glimmer of hope for the future API Aristos mentions in the discussion linked there.  Given that it's been a decade, I assume the glimmer had been extinguished.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Darren
Proven Zealot
Darren
Proven Zealot
elset191 wrote:

Given that it's been a decade, I assume the glimmer had been extinguished.

Glimmer re-ignited! I have moved the original idea to 'In Development'. I think I have a good way to implement this in a future LabVIEW release.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> I think I have a good way to implement this in a future LabVIEW release.

With only G changes??? I'm intrigued. The C++ team is booked! 😉

Darren
Proven Zealot
AristosQueue wrote:

With only G changes??? I'm intrigued.

Yeah, check out this method I found. It appears to work the way we need. It's not even private!

1.png

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Looks like my encyclopedic knowledge of LabVIEW needs an update.

Darren
Proven Zealot

I don't think I've got a way to update the Context Help with info about project items that are displayed in Quick Drop, but I figure showing palette item info is better than nothing.

Muri777

Hi team,

I still think this is a good idea and hope it gets implemented.

Thank you!