LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr._Jim

Make the Error Ring Searchable

Available in LabVIEW 2019 and later. The 'Select Error' dialog for configuring an Error Ring now has a 'Filter' string to filter the list of errors.

I'd like to suggest that the error ring dialog ("Select Error") have an entry for a search expression.

For instance, I'm looking for an error code for an index out of range.  I might enter, "index" or "range" as the search term, and browse the resulting error codes whose descriptions include that text.

While I don't find myself using the error ring itself very often, I do use the resulting dialog quite a bit to browse for appropriate error codes.  The trouble is that there are a lot of error codes and you could be staring at them for quite a while looking for the right code.

Thanks!

Mr. Jim

searchErrorRingDialog.jpg

11 Comments
kegghead
I like the idea of the error ring but in practice never use it because it's too hard to find anything. Your suggestion would make the ring far more useful in my opinion.
PaulG.
Active Participant

I've heard that from more than one developer and I agree. Not making error codes searchable makes the error ring almost useless.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: New

Hooovahh
Proven Zealot

Uhhh forgive my ignorance but what does it mean for status to go from In Development, to New.  Does that mean NI tried implementing this feature and choose to stop at some point?  I would expect items that go into development to at some point go into In Beta.  I'm a fan of this, and actually wrote my own error ring making tool which has searching but isn't as nice as the NI one.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

It means that the feature was worked on, mostly finished, and then backed out of the release.

Hooovahh
Proven Zealot
Hooovahh
Proven Zealot

Since we didn't see this in 2016 (or 2017) I went and made a right click plugin for this which adds search and allows for other optional inputs.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Beta