LabVIEW Idea Exchange

annulla
Visualizzazione dei risultati per 
Cerca invece 
Intendevi dire: 
falkpl

Make labview everywhere a reality

I have used labview for a long time and avid user.  One issue I have been hitting lately is the "LabVIEW everywhere" slogan never really panned out, it has become LabVIEW everywhere NI allows it to be.  I am getting jealous of the Arduino and Rasberry Pi and hundreds of PICS and ARMs not avaliable to me (Yes I have the pro liscence but not embedded).  I wish Labview pro opened up the toolchain and started porting to many other platforms by default.  I am seeing jobs that labview is loosing ot to where it should be much more competetive like the embedded market. 

Essentially I am looking to see the Labview development environment easily work with toolchains for the most popular processors and also open up a simple standard to add targets to projects. 

Wouldnt it be nice to program a $25 ardunio dirrectly from labview (NO THIS IS NOT WHAT THE TOOLKIT IS DOING).  Add a Ardunio target file (maps the io memory to variables and throw down a loop, boolean shift register, a wait and a digital line variable, download to the micro and the blink led example is done.  Really open up the doors for LabVIEW everywhere.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
66 Commenti
vitoi
Active Participant

Chris_C, sad to hear that this great idea has been declined. Does this mean that any chance of LabVIEW being able to target more platforms, such as mobile devices and microcontrollers, is now officially dead and off the table?

You mentioned, "RoboGret has responded to this concept in the context of LabVIEW supporting the Raspberry PI. I think you'll find the response helpful in understanding NI's strategy and recommendations." The concept that RoboGret highlighted is not the concept that is requested here. The concept is not targeting the LabVIEW code to the device (eg. Arduino or Raspberry Pi). Falkpl, the poster of this idea stated, "wouldn't it be nice to program a $25 ardunio directly from labview (NO THIS IS NOT WHAT THE TOOLKIT IS DOING)."

If I could have one wish for LabVIEW , it would be to target more devices. I want to reiterate that this does not mean (non-LabVIEW) (fixed) code on the target that then interfaces to LabVIEW on, say, a desktop PC. The ability to programme an Arduino (Due), Rasperry Pi or iPhone, then detach it from any other device and make it perform a task would be truly revolutionary.

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

TSXperts is doing something toward that end - http://www.tsxperts.com/arduino-compatible-compiler-for-labview/

Discussed here - https://lavag.org/topic/18726-deploying-labview-code-to-arduinos/

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

vitoi
Active Participant

jcarmody, I took a look at the Arduino Complier for LabVIEW. If properly implemented, this is going to be revolutionary. Finally, we can target LabVIEW to an Arduino.

Yesterday, it looked like all hope was gone as this idea was declined. Today, I see a third party has what I'm after in development. This will be an interesting product to play with and keep an eye on. We may finally get LabVIEW Everywhere after all.

falkpl
Trusted Enthusiast

As the original poster I always assumed that someone would see the importance of allowing new platforms (Arduino, Pi,  ARM boards or anything else that might come along).  I was hoping that NI would take this on as a way to grow the scope and use of LabVIEW.  I am and have always been a fan of LabVIEW and hope that the community will continue to grow.  Finally someone figured a way to do this.  BRAVO!

Oddly enough this was declined (cand hurt to ask) even though the NI 2015 outlook states the importance of the Maker movemnet and IOT both rely on the ability to port to stand alone inexpensive hardware.  

I would love to know how TSXperts pulled this off (I have tjhought about doing this exact thing for several years).  I hope the price is reasonable, I will line up ta add this toolkit.  Maybe I coded my last sketch.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
vitoi
Active Participant

falkpl,

It saddened me to see that this, my favourite idea in the NI Idea Exchange, had been declined. With almost 200 kudos in under 3 years it shows the high customer interest.

It also seems odd to me that NI would decline this idea. It has a large following, high kudos and, as you mentioned, "the NI 2015 outlook states the importance of the Maker movemnet and IOT both rely on the ability to port to stand alone inexpensive hardware".

With regards to price, at https://decibel.ni.com/content/message/92850 we have "As far as pricing goes, we are still debating on it. It will probably be something like $99 for what we are calling the Student edition and $399 for the Professional edition."

I've been waiting for over three years for something to happen in this arena and it is finally happening, but not from where I was urging it to happen. I wonder what sort of community support we can give to see this succeed.

Regards,

Vito