From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mathis_B

Make default type of new controls: Type def

This functionality is available in LabVIEW 2018 and later. The right-click > New menu in the Project Window provides an option for Type Definition instead of Control. There is also a new Type Definition entry available in the File > New... dialog.

This is minor one but it bugs me every time.

I create a new control and forget to change the type from "Control" to "Type Def.".

If I'm lucky I spot it after I drop it for the first time on the BD but sometimes I have to replace quite a few instances after I spot the error.

While there might be usecases for a custom control without it being a type def I think that most users want to use type defs when using custom controls.

Therefore please make the default type of new controls "Type Def."

8 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

When R&D added the "Make Type Def." shortcut menu item, we had this discussion. We decided to not change the default setting of new controls. Changing that default would have ramifications for scripting code that today relies on new control VIs being just scratch pads for constructing controls, and we would prefer that the scripting default and the manual default be the same. The need to directly create new control VIs was (in our opinion) largely negated by the creation of the "Make Type Def." shortcut menu item, which many users told us they prefer to use instead of ever opening the control editor. If you create your type directly on your diagram/panel, the "Make Type Def." menu item does create a new CTL that is already set to being a Type Def.

Having said that... if this idea gets enough kudos, we would reconsider the question.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Add a LabVIEW option "make all new created controls/indicators type def"

Why do I know the answer to that suggestion?

crossrulz
Knight of NI

You know because you have been repeatedly told the answer: we want to avoid any more options.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Mathis_B

I have gone off creating type defs from the BD. They always get created on the top level of the project and not as part of the lvlib I'm currently working on. That means that I have to move it in the project and apply the the lvlib icon overlay. It's easier and quicker to create it immediately where I want it in the project and then just pull it onto the BD.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Mathis_B: I have filed CAR 511304 to get the typedef ownership set the same way that the "Create SubVI From Selection" is set.

fabric
Active Participant

@AristosQueue (NI) wrote:

CAR 511304

Nice! Smiley Happy

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Beta

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

This functionality is available in LabVIEW 2018 and later. The right-click > New menu in the Project Window provides an option for Type Definition instead of Control. There is also a new Type Definition entry available in the File > New... dialog.