LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichaelAivaliotis

Make adding label wires super easy (Step 1: Select Wire, Step 2: Start Typing, Step 3: Profits!)

Re-opening because LabVIEW NXG has been discontinued.

Currently (in LabVIEW 2010), you can add labels to wires. Hurray!!

But it's painful. Boooo!

Curently => Right-Click wire, navigate to sub-menu of Show>>Label

It should be as easy as adding free text to block diagrams or front panels. For example: If your auto-tool is on then just double-click on freespace to add text.

So we should make it just as easy to add labels to wires:

• Step 1: Single-Select Wire
  • Step 2: Start Typing
  • Step 3: Profits!
We don't need no stinkin' right-click menus.
PS: I am proposing a single click on the wire instead of double-click because that performs a different action.

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
12 Comments
jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

@Michael Aivaliotis wrote:
[...] We don't need no stinkin' right-click menus. [...]

Bite your tongue!

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Tomi_Maila
Active Participant

This should be extended for any graphical objects such as nodes, controls, constants etc.

--
Tomi Maila
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

Good Idea

Richard

MichaelAivaliotis
Active Participant

I would agree with Tomi. My idea is cool in of itself but why stop there?

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
GregFreeman
Trusted Enthusiast
I also would like to be able to add more labels to wires where they split, not just where a more is. For instance, I on my latest RT program I have a cluster of queue references going to all 7 loops. It is initialized outside the loops and split to all of them. Id like to put a label on the wire right before it enters each loop but, alas, cannot.
GregFreeman
Trusted Enthusiast
Node not more*
egraham

This is a good idea and they do have some other bugs to work out with their wire labels. I was moving a large chunk of code across the block diagram. Afterwards I would try to save and it crashed LV every time I did this. I sent the code in to NI and this was their response:

"It has been discovered that wire labels have some ill effects in Labview at the moment when dealing with large vi's.

Again this is a known issue that is scheduled to be fixed in later releases of the software."

MichaelAivaliotis
Active Participant

Oh dang!

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
Daklu
Active Participant

This is a great idea!  I also agree with the additions proposed by Tomi and for(imstuck).

parthabe
Trusted Enthusiast

@michael_Aivaliotis wrote:

PS: I am proposing a single click on the wire instead of double-click because that performs a different action.

And, triple-click selects the entire wire chain (can I call it as a chain?!) 🙂

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )