From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HenrikDueholm

Make 'Write Palette.vi' useable from run-time

Short:

Make the VI 'Write Pallete.vi' useable from run-time. As it is now, not being able to use it, prevents implementation of menu automation in built applications (think support applications created for making LabVIEW easier to use).

I hope there isn't a technical reason for it not being useable as it's just creating some text files...

Longer and with background:

I've worked on automating the mnu-file creation. When I was done and had a working solution I started implementing it in our source management applications. Here I found that I could only use the automation from the development environment. (Yes I should have checked that before I started implementing.)

I've used the tool (https://github.com/HenrikDueholm/LV32.2019..AutoMenuCreator) to create menu files for all our tools/packages and it has made it easy to refresh from folder structure when new files are added. However I cannot implement it as an automatic part of our built source management applications so newly committed files could automatically be added to the menu files and auto-linked into the labview folders. Which is what I would very much like to do.

So could you please make 'Write Palette.vi' useable from run-time to make menu automation just that much better? I'm hoping there is a way to do this as it is, as I see it, just generating text files...

Who wouldn't want this to auto update on commits?:

Toolsets.png

Best regards

Henrik Dueholm

1 Comment
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

It is a good idea.

There is a technical barrier to doing this: none of the palette code is part of the runtime engine. That includes the save code for the palette. The current code takes the G values, creates a temporary palette, then saves it. The save ability could be added to run-time engine, but it isn't a trivial change. The save code would need to be extracted and made independent of the palette data structure with an interim structure that both G and regular palette save use. Either that or save code would need to be rewritten in G, creating a second mechanism for generating the same files.