LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HenrikDueholm

Make 'Write Palette.vi' useable from run-time

Short:

Make the VI 'Write Pallete.vi' useable from run-time. As it is now, not being able to use it, prevents implementation of menu automation in built applications (think support applications created for making LabVIEW easier to use).

I hope there isn't a technical reason for it not being useable as it's just creating some text files...

Longer and with background:

I've worked on automating the mnu-file creation. When I was done and had a working solution I started implementing it in our source management applications. Here I found that I could only use the automation from the development environment. (Yes I should have checked that before I started implementing.)

I've used the tool (https://github.com/HenrikDueholm/LV32.2019..AutoMenuCreator) to create menu files for all our tools/packages and it has made it easy to refresh from folder structure when new files are added. However I cannot implement it as an automatic part of our built source management applications so newly committed files could automatically be added to the menu files and auto-linked into the labview folders. Which is what I would very much like to do.

So could you please make 'Write Palette.vi' useable from run-time to make menu automation just that much better? I'm hoping there is a way to do this as it is, as I see it, just generating text files...

Who wouldn't want this to auto update on commits?:

Toolsets.png

Best regards

Henrik Dueholm

1 Comment
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

It is a good idea.

There is a technical barrier to doing this: none of the palette code is part of the runtime engine. That includes the save code for the palette. The current code takes the G values, creates a temporary palette, then saves it. The save ability could be added to run-time engine, but it isn't a trivial change. The save code would need to be extracted and made independent of the palette data structure with an interim structure that both G and regular palette save use. Either that or save code would need to be rewritten in G, creating a second mechanism for generating the same files.