From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arun_Persaud

Make LVdiff and LVMerge available for all labview versions

To be able to use 3rd party version control tools such as Git effectively, you need to be able to have a program that merges files and can compare files. Unfortunately LVdiff and LVmerge are only available in the professional labview version, but being able to use a VC system of your choice is such a basic need that it should be available for everyone. That way  you would be able to use the basic VC features, better integration with labview could still be integrated in the professional package.

18 Comments
oenk

Great Idea!

To put this idea here was on my "to do" list for quite some weeks. I talked to the LabVIEW Product Manager at the NI Days here in Switzerland and I asked him that exact question why it's not in the base package.

I told him if they are not willing to put it in all the LabVIEW versions it would be nice if NI could provide a buyable add-on as most of the times it's easier to convince a superior to buy an add-on than a new version. Or if you are using the VLM with only 5 seats you can't just switch one to the prof-version as the VLM needs at least 5 seats of the same LV-version.

So Elijah, after all the idea is spread so go and convince your superiors that the community needs this feature Smiley Very Happy

Elijah_K
Active Participant

I understand your point, but our intent in separating these and other software tools into the professional development system was to provide a low-cost option for users who just want to build a simple and quick measurement application.  Generally speaking, configuration management and software engineering are not required in these scenarios.  Users developing complex LabVIEW applications and/or end-use systems through a formal process definitely benefit from access to these and other software engineering tools - we anticipate that these users will use the professional version.

On a related note, it was a pleasure to meet you in Switzerland!

Elijah Kerry
NI Director, Software Community
Ajay_MV
Active Participant

Does all professional versions of LV has the this LVmerge and LVdiff?  I can imaging that this LVmerge and LVdiff would be started to be available in some versions of LV and before which it wouldn't be avialble.  If so, what that version.  Is that LV8.6?  I'm planning for GitHub.  Has anyone used GitHub for the LV version control?

Also I have few more general quries about VC

According to you what are the important key features of any VC?  I can say that one should be allowed to edit a file if it's checked out by another person, finding the difference between two versions of the file, integration of the VC software in the development environment (as we do in LabVIEW options --> Source Control configuration)

Thanks,

Ajay.

--
Ajay MV

crossrulz
Knight of NI

I believe the LV DIff started shipping with LabVIEW 2009.  I remember copying the LV Merge from my machine (at the time, I was using 8.6 and 2011) to put it on a couple of test racks that were using 8.6.  It still worked well.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
eframx

i want o use version control but it really surprised me that these tools are not available. The name FULL Development System is completely misleading. To see the difference between two files is a basic and fundamental task.

I wonder if it is really worthy to pay 5000 USD just to get that functionality.

Efrain

eframx

What is the  status of this idea? how can I vote?

eframx

Sorry I am new here. I found the button

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Diff has existed since at least LV 5.0 in the late 1990s.

Merge came in in one of the 8.x versions in the mid-2000s.

eframx wrote:

> The name FULL Development System is completely misleading. 

It did not used to be. Standards have changed since that term "Full" was introduced back in the 1990s when very few people had source code control systems. What is in each of the three LV editions gets reviewed from time to time. I wouldn't be surprised if Diff/Merge move into Full someday. You're right that it should probably move at this point.

Enrico_Segre
Active Participant

The problem for me is not the availability, but the integration with estabilished guis.

A relevant thread: https://lavag.org/topic/17934-configuring-git-to-work-with-lvcompare-and-lvmerge/?hl=diff

xl600
Active Participant

I was going to submit this idea myself but found it has already been submitted and effectively ignored for years.  I have to wonder why this idea hasn't received thousands of kudo's given the basic need for version control in any programming environment.  I was unfortunate enough to be told I had to purchase LabView Full instead of Pro and am now in a bind without a diff/merge capability.