From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Benjie

Logarithmic waveform-type and limit testing.

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

In audio industry I always use logorathmic frequency (X) axis and often also logarithmic Y-axis. Like from 20 to 20kHz but not linear as in Labview but logarithmic as in Bode-diagram.

Today, labview doesn't understand these. They can show them if you select that your graph-window to have logarithmic axis. But the waveform-type itself doesn't. In the waveform type you have f0, df and Y. But df is not a constant if you have log axis.

Also, the limit-testing methods doesn't understand logarithmic axis either.

I would appreciate it if in a future version of Labview it will allow the use of logarithmic axis.

3 Comments
RavensFan
Knight of NI

Waveforms have a t0, dt, and a Y array.  It is t because that means time, and most waveforms mean something varying in time.  But those don't have to be time, but could be anything that your X axis represents.  It is actually X0, dx, and a Y array.

You say df in your case is not constant.  What is your df then?  The waveform datatype is based on the X value having constant spacing no matter whether it is time, frequency, distance, ....  What you are asking for with variable spacing X values means you actually need the XY graph and not any type of waveform graph.

Benjie

If you have a logarithmic axis there is no dx, since dx increase exponentially for each step.

Yes, I tried using XY-graph, but then I can't use the methods "limit testing" which require a waveform as input-parameter.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.