From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TiTou

Let the community send feedback on localization.

Of the top of my head I can give you a bunch of example of terms that have been translated into french in a very bad way. The problem is, what do you do when you find a term - in a non-english version of an NI product of course - thats sound really poorly translated into your language?

So I'd like to suggest a central place for that, after all the LabVIEW international users provide technical support on different forums, why could they not provide localization reviews, seriously, who can do that best than the international LabVIEW community?

note : in response to that idea : http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/LabVIEW-64bit-french-version

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

4 Comments
TiTou
Trusted Enthusiast

and while we're at it, do it not only for LabVIEW, but open it up to all NI product (I have VB AI in mind because I use it alot but there are certainly more).

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

Ahh translations, you gotta love them. Translate "out of sight, out of mind" litterally to Russian and you get "blind and crazy".

I'm not sure if there are any errors that horrible in the LabVIEW localizations but Kudos!

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

E2R.png

back.png

I was hoping to see it pan out on Google Translate...

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

There are dictionaries dedicated to idioms, and electronic translators are getting better all the time. It probably recognizes this as a common English idiom. But a poor translator can easily make absolutely horrible mistakes. If you enter "are you trying to pull the wool over my eyes" into google translate, it translates into Russian as "are you trying to show off?" That's probably an incorrect translation of the idiom. The Russian idiom that more closely represents this one is "Are you trying to hang noodles on my ears".

=====================
LabVIEW 2012