LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frank-L

LabVIEW Options should have "Name Format" selector as an Options>>Block Diagram setting.

As mentioned above, LabVIEW should add an Options>>Block Diagram or Environment setting of "Name Format" for property nodes. Currently you start off with short names (default) or whatever the previous designer of the VI set as the name format of a specific property node. This can lead to confusion if you are used to seeing it one way or the other; and it can be annoying if you want to change the name format of all property nodes in a VI.

LabVIEW should have four options to select as default.

• No Names
  • Short Names
  • Long Names
  • Unchanged (Default)

Listed below is an example of the different "Name Format"s of the same property node.

Capture.PNG

Untitled.png

This should be an item in Options as shown below.

Options.png

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
2 Comments
SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

I agree that it can be annoying/confusing to see method and property names in a different form than we're used to, but an environment override like this will lead to block diagrams being mangled when you view them with a different setting than the previous save had.

Until LabVIEW is able to autoformat the block diagrams, it won't be a good idea to let the environment change node sizes.

I'll reserve my kudos for a solution that removes the need for different node name formats.

/Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

This could and should be limited to being the default setting for new PN and IN and leave existing code alone.