LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tyri

LV2021: Deactivate Wire Auto-Routing

In LabVIEW 2021 SP1, the automatic layout of wires when moving diagram objects is disabled if "Enable automatic wire routing" is unchecked in Tools>>Options in the Block Diagram category.

LV2021 has a new "feature" called "Auto-Routing" (this is not Auto-Wiring, which can be deactivated in the options!). Auto-Routing moves wires around if you touch for example Sub-VIs.

Especially in compact VIs this function is a disaster right now. Sometimes for example wires will go "through" Sub-VIs so that an output leaves the Sub-VI at the wrong side resulting in a VI which is terrible to read:

1. Original Snippet of a VI:

Before.PNG

2. Same snippet, I just moved the "Get Variant Attribute Function" by one pixel to the right:

After.PNG

First we thought this is a bug, but the support told us it is a feature. But please: Let us deactivate this "function" in the options. I have colleagues telling me they would stop using LabVIEW if this remains as it is right now.

15 Comments
joerg.hampel
Active Participant

> An alternative, equally-unsupported method is to add LVdebugKeys=True to your LabVIEW config file, then you can open the internal settings with Ctrl+Shift+D followed by Ctrl+Shift+N and change it from there

Every day is a school day! I never heard about that internal settings editor before...

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

flarn2006

@joerg.hampel: Yeah, it's an undocumented feature. LabVIEW has lots of them. Try doing the same thing, but with H instead of N. It lets you browse the low-level data for every VI in memory, including all the objects they contain.

FrasseKatt

According to CaseyM, it should have been fixed SP1. Someone tried it yet?

HB@BNT

Yes, it's fixed. Best Holger

Christina_R
Active Participant
Status changed to: Completed

In LabVIEW 2021 SP1, the automatic layout of wires when moving diagram objects is disabled if "Enable automatic wire routing" is unchecked in Tools>>Options in the Block Diagram category.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D