LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ralvarez

Keyboard control for holding a wire route to do screen panning

Any idea that has received less than 3 kudos within 3 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Some of the computers that I'm using has a lower monitor resolution and wiring across a very large code is quite a pain. I hope LabVIEW can add a "Hold wire route" feature by using a keyboard control like "Shift Hold" so that I can move the scroll bars (or do mouse scroll) to pan the block diagram without losing the wire route.

My proposal would be if the wire tool is used and holding the Shift key, the previous wire route will be freeze and the cursor will go back to a pointer tool which will be used to move the scroll bars or do mouse scroll. Then after releasing the Shift key, the wire route will continue from the previous wire route to the current position of the mouse cursor. In this way, wiring a code that is across the screen size will be faster compared to placing the wire route/tool at the edge of the block diagram window and wait for the scroll bar to pan by itself slowly.

11 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

If you drag a wire (or drag an object) to the edge of a diagram, it will automatically start panning. It's pretty slow, but if you hold Shift, it pans faster. Is this a valid alternative?

ralvarez

It's not what I really mean. By holding the Shift, the user can do other mouse actions like moving the scroll bars or do mouse scroll to pan the screen.

Intaris
Proven Zealot

Personally I use the shift-arrow keys to pan in a desired direction all the time.  I never (rarely) use the scroll bars.

I understand the idea behind the suggestion but I find it hard to cough up Kudos for it because I never need it.

ralvarez

I rarely use the scroll bars also but I frequently use the mouse scroll for panning. The problem is that the mouse scroll cancels out my wiring action.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I doubt this would be implemented, and I'm assuming you use the auto-tool, so what you can do is bring your wire to the edge of the screen, then double-click. This will force the wire to end at that point. You can then scroll, go back to the broken edge of the wire and pick it up again.

Another option, if you don't like that, is to single click. This will create an anchor point for the wire without ending the wiring operation, so the edge-scroll at least doesn't cause the wire to lose its path.

Does keyboard scrolling cancel the wiring action?

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Keyboard scrolling? Does it exist?

elset191
Active Participant

I used to run into this issue with the wire disappearing when I used the mouse wheel.  I just started double clicking to end my wire, then scroll, then reattach a new wire.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Intaris
Proven Zealot

@Jack, apparently not but I would have sworn earlier today that it did.  I must have confused it withmoving objects.....

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

You can double click to end the wire partially finished, scroll the diagram, and then click on the partial wire to keep wiring from where you left off. When you get to your other terminal, if you don't like the resulting route, pop up on the wire and select "Clean Up Wire".