LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darren

Key Focus Surrounding Border - Let's Get Rid of It!

I really, really don't like this behavior:

key_focus_border.png

Whenever you use the KeyFocus property, or simply the tab key on a running VI, whatever control has key focus gets that ugly black border around it.  Can we just eliminate this feature, or at the very least, have the ability to disable it?  The border doesn't appear on System-style front panel controls, but it does for anything else.  I've written all sorts of hacks over the years (the latest being in Quick Drop) where I have to figure out a way to hide that ugly border when a control gets key focus.

18 Comments
Jed394
Ditto to above comment 😞 Sometimes the labview gui drives me crazy
PhillipBrooks
Active Participant

This border behavior really shows up on and detracts from the Silver controls. Smiley Sad

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Manzolli
Active Participant

I'm with altenbach's idea too

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
SargsyanDS

1. Insert string controls into the clusters in classic styles

2. Make clusters invisible (cluster and its border make transparent)

3. Auto size the cluster

That is the example file

Ugly_Border_Elimination.vi

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

Inerestingly, since this idea was made, the trend in UI design has been to a simplied "flat" style, such as in Google Material Design, where dialog option buttons are often just text.  The black square actually works quite well with this style:FlatlineDialogBox.png

jqu

I'm also in favor of altenbach's idea. Simply make the color of the frame configurable *somehow*. I like the idea of the frame in general, but since we use a dark grey app background the black frames are hardly visible.

BertMcMahan
Active Participant

Commenting for more visibility. One issue that hasn't been brought up is programmatically setting the keyboard focus- sometimes you want it to be indicated in different ways than a big black square, like a blinking cursor in a string control, or maybe underlined text. Sometimes, programmatically setting keyboard focus is very helpful for accomplishing some other user interface task, but having the black border pop up every time it changes is frustrating.

(Imagine, for example, you're editing a string control and want to have keyboard shortcuts to do things "outside" of the control, like saving the text to a file. Giving the control focus via clicking doesn't invoke the border, even though it has keyfocus. If you're trying to filter for, say, a Ctrl+S to save the text to a file, you can do that but sometimes you have to reassign keyfocus when you're done so the user can keep typing, which means the black box starts popping in and out.)

UFOslava

NI, please.

UFOslava_0-1647449242027.png

The borders need to be adjustable...or at least editable.