LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim_Kring

Installer build spec option: Let User "Run Installed Application After Installation Completes"

It would be nice if there were an option for installer build specs that allow the user (who is running the installer) to run the installed application after the installer finishes running.  This would avoid the user having to find the installed application in the Start menu.

5 Comments
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)

Just to clarify your idea a little, you don't mean the Advanced option in the Installer Build Properties called Run Executable At The End Of Installation (http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361G-01/lvdialog/adv_installer_settings_db/) which runs the executable no matter what but actually a user decided event to run the executable. Almost like the this idea (http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Go-to-output-location-after-building/idi-p/986767) which altenbach got into LV 2010 that added the Explore button to the successful build window that takes you to the executable filepath. Your idea though would actually run the executable when the user selects that option at the end of the installation though, correct?

Thoric
Trusted Enthusiast

G-Money: That's my interpretation of Jim's Idea - to get the installer to actually launch the application after it's installed it (presuming a reboot isn't required of course). You see this in many other installers, and it's certainly useful - saves you having to find it in the All Programs list of the Start menu, which, if it's anything like mine, spans three columns of the desktop!

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast

yep, I meant that the user should have the option to run the installed application after the installer completes (so, as the developer creating the installer, you should have the option to give the user the option).  This is a very common option for installers and makes for a much nicer user experience that doesn't dead end with "OK, thanks for installing the app, now go try to find it." 

altenbach
Knight of NI

Yes, the last installer screen should be customizable with a collection of checkboxes having defineable defaults.

• Run Application
  • View Release Notes
Of course there might be problems, for example if the installer requires a reboot before the application can run.
(E.g. including the run time engine always seem to ask for a reboot)

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Even if you have to reboot, the installer should still be able to handle this.  I believe that is what the RunOnce startup registry key is for.  All the installer would have to do is right to that key, and Windows will run the program after the reboot, then Windows clears it out so it doesn't run on every reboot like it would if it was in the Run registery key.