From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanyAllard

Installer and ZIP File Build Specification should have the possibility to use Pre-Build VI and Post-Build VI

All the other Build Specification has already this function available. Why not the Installer and the ZIP File.

Dany

LabVIEW ChampionArchitect
3 Comments
James_McN
Active Participant

Would love this to allow me to zip installers and copy to a distributable directory.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

And also please make it an array of pre and post build action.

With an executable, it's pretty annoying that you have to make a VI to combine several actions, only because you can select just one VI.

Why?

Spoiler
I have one code base (lvproj), that has 2 specific flavors A and 2 specific flavors of B, so I get 4 executables. I set 2 project  with pre build actions (as it still (at least in 2013) cannot be set in the build script, *sigh*), but I need 4 VIs for setting A1, A2, B1, B2, and then 4 other VIs just so the build script can set A1 B1, A1 B2, A2 B1, A2 B2. At some point I'll get 3 flavors of A and\or B, or 3 specifics (A, B, C). This doesn't scale up well at the moment...

I'd say an array would almost be easier to implement as well, but that should be irrelevant. Now there is 0..1, With an array you'll get 0..n.

BertMcMahan
Active Participant

So for anyone looking at this wondering if there's a workaround, there kind of is. The MGI Solution Explorer now lets you define whatever you want as part of a build process. Unfortunately, I've had several issues getting things to work exactly right (including the SFX file getting marked as a virus sometimes). IIRC there was also some issue related to running it while the project was open; either it wouldn't allow that at all, or it had intermittent errors if so, and I had to close my project, run the solution (which reopened the project, just in the background...) and since it took a decent amount of time to open the project this meant it took forever to build what I needed.

Also, it was VERY hard to debug why an SFX build wouldn't work, but, if you're willing to really dig into it, this is a potential solution to the issue of installers not coming with pre/post actions.