LabVIEW Idea Exchange

About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nleigh

Insert Again on context-sensitive menu (or as key & mouse combo)

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

From time to time it would be handy to have an "insert again" option on the context-sensitive menu; not necessarily a history for insert (as suggested at https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/History-for-insert/idi-p/1524082 where the poster does mention a single-item history) nor as extensive as QuickDrop - just a simple repeat of the last inserted item.  Here is an example of being able to insert another conversion identical to the one just inserted, with a minimum of mousing and no keystrokes.

insert-again-menu.jpg

One (probably superior) alternative would be to change the behavior of <ctrl><right-click>; hovering over a wire and pressing <ctrl> shows the wiring tool, and a right click could repeat the last insertion (instead of bringing up the context-sensitive menu, which is a redundant behavior and a squandered control sequence).

3 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

I just use the Ctrl+I shortcut in QuickDrop to insert in many wires.

Personally, this sounds like a duplicate of the History For Insert idea that you already linked to.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
nleigh

1) The truly novel aspect of my suggestion is the reassignment of the <ctrl><right-click> sequence.  I should have put this at the top of my post, but the idea hit me after I was mostly done typing.

2) In the linked posted regarding a "History for Insert", the poster is asking for an extensive history and only mentions a single-item history as a minimal solution.

3) QuickDrop doesn't fit the use case - a zero-configuration, minimal effort way to repeat the last insertion.

Perhaps it would be helpful to withdraw my original post and re-post with just the novel aspect...

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

DNatt, NI