LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nleigh

Insert Again on context-sensitive menu (or as key & mouse combo)

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

From time to time it would be handy to have an "insert again" option on the context-sensitive menu; not necessarily a history for insert (as suggested at https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/History-for-insert/idi-p/1524082 where the poster does mention a single-item history) nor as extensive as QuickDrop - just a simple repeat of the last inserted item.  Here is an example of being able to insert another conversion identical to the one just inserted, with a minimum of mousing and no keystrokes.

insert-again-menu.jpg

One (probably superior) alternative would be to change the behavior of <ctrl><right-click>; hovering over a wire and pressing <ctrl> shows the wiring tool, and a right click could repeat the last insertion (instead of bringing up the context-sensitive menu, which is a redundant behavior and a squandered control sequence).

3 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

I just use the Ctrl+I shortcut in QuickDrop to insert in many wires.

Personally, this sounds like a duplicate of the History For Insert idea that you already linked to.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
nleigh

1) The truly novel aspect of my suggestion is the reassignment of the <ctrl><right-click> sequence.  I should have put this at the top of my post, but the idea hit me after I was mostly done typing.

2) In the linked posted regarding a "History for Insert", the poster is asking for an extensive history and only mentions a single-item history as a minimal solution.

3) QuickDrop doesn't fit the use case - a zero-configuration, minimal effort way to repeat the last insertion.

Perhaps it would be helpful to withdraw my original post and re-post with just the novel aspect...

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.