LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josborne

Include 64-bit Version of LabVIEW on Platform DVD

The LabVIEW Platform DVD installer is available for the 64-bit platform in LabVIEW 2019 and later.

Currently, if you want to install LabVIEW 64bit, you need to download it from ni.com.

My idea is to put it on the LabVIEW Platform DVDs. 

It should be there.  I am paying to get my software on a DVD.  Please include it on my DVD.

The only reason I can think of for NOT putting it on the DVD, is that NI is worried that inexperienced users will install the 64 bit version (afterall, doesn't 64 sound bigger and better than 32! Smiley Happy), and NI will get tons of technical support phone-calls from the resulting confusion.

http://www.medicollector.com
16 Comments
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Regarding most users not using it and modules not being supported.

Gee, maybe there could be a connection?

I'm craving the day when FPGA and Real-Time (at least host-side - 64-bit RT might not be so good) get updated to 64-bit.

testproggie

Be nice if I could get it on a DVD. I am unable to download files that large where I work. All my systems are currently being upgraded to 64bit (most allready are) and I am unable to even try it out. Unless someone knows of a way to get it on DVD, even if separate from the regular updates?

josborne
Active Participant

I think Seeker169 had a good point about the install path for 64 bit users:

>>Guess I get to unistall the whole darn thing, download the right version, and start over.  Yay.

http://www.medicollector.com
Brian_Powell
Active Participant

Just to share what one other software company does...

Several Adobe products are available as 32-bit and 64-bit, and have the ability to include 3rd party plugins that have to be compiled for the "bitness" of their host application.  (I.e., a 32-bit plugin won't work in 64-bit Photoshop.)  So, Adobe installs, by default, both 32-bit and 64-bit applications.  64-bit for better handling of many large images, 32-bit for compatibility with older plugins.

adobe_start_menu.png

Note a few exceptions...  Lightroom uses a different plugin model where the plugins don't run in-process.  This means that plugins don't have to match the "bitness", so Lightroom only installs 64-bit if you are on a 64-bit OS.  I think Bridge is similar--though it may not have any plugin capability.

Another exception is Premiere Pro, which is only available as a 64-bit application.  It's a video-editing application, and most people doing serious video editing aren't going to be happy with the memory constraints of a 32-bit OS.

Bringing this back to LabVIEW, I would like to see that on a 64-bit OS we install, by default, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.  We would still need to educate users about why they would sometimes want to use the 32-bit version, and sometimes want the 64-bit version.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I already spent 5 hours uninstalling the beta and installing the new release (32 bits). I certainly would like to be offered the choice to NOT install a version!

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

The LabVIEW Platform DVD installer is available for the 64-bit platform in LabVIEW 2019 and later.