From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josborne

Include 64-bit Version of LabVIEW on Platform DVD

The LabVIEW Platform DVD installer is available for the 64-bit platform in LabVIEW 2019 and later.

Currently, if you want to install LabVIEW 64bit, you need to download it from ni.com.

My idea is to put it on the LabVIEW Platform DVDs. 

It should be there.  I am paying to get my software on a DVD.  Please include it on my DVD.

The only reason I can think of for NOT putting it on the DVD, is that NI is worried that inexperienced users will install the 64 bit version (afterall, doesn't 64 sound bigger and better than 32! Smiley Happy), and NI will get tons of technical support phone-calls from the resulting confusion.

http://www.medicollector.com
16 Comments
josborne
Active Participant

Hmm.... didn't give my idea a good title.  But can't seem to edit it now, only seconds after posting it.

Here's another idea:  allow us to edit our ideas after they are posted!  We can do this on regular forum postings!

josborne
Active Participant

Apparently, all of the 64 bit drivers (eg Vision 64 bit) actually ARE included on the DVDs.  Just not the 64 bit version of the LabVIEW IDE.

Dragis
Active Participant

I updated the title, let me know if you'd like it changed to something else.

josborne
Active Participant

Btw:  The lack of a 64bit installer on the DVD makes the overall install process very delicate.  You need to make sure you install the 64bit verson of LabVIEW first.  Then you need to insert the DVDs to install all your toolkits. 

James_McN
Active Participant

josborne wrote:

The only reason I can think of for NOT putting it on the DVD, is that NI is worried that inexperienced users will install the 64 bit version (afterall, doesn't 64 sound bigger and better than 32! Smiley Happy), and NI will get tons of technical support phone-calls from the resulting confusion.

I don't know if this is an official reason but working in a support role I would personally be concerned with this. We hear enough about the time to install LabVIEW, that'll be worst if we to they'll them the version they installed is wrong an try again!

That said there may be a middle path that would suit all users. 

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
dthor
Active Participant

@James_McN wrote:

a middle path that would suit all users. 

So, a 48-bit version? Smiley Very Happy

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Yes, there is a middle path: a big warning pop-up window (a la Microsoft) saying: are you really sure that you want to install the 64 bit version on this 32 bit system, 'cause that sounds pretty stupid to us (case 1)

Or: are you sure that you want to install this 64 bit version of LabVIEW, 'cause you are going to miss the memory manager errors and warning-less VI aborts of the 32 bit version... oh, sorry, you only have 4GB or RAM on your system, my bad...

josborne
Active Participant

Support is probably the explaination, as James indicated and I mentioned earlier.  However, the solution that NI has implemented (to not included the 64bit installer at all) doesn't really solve the problem.  You end up reducing the potential number of support cases for 32bit users, but increase the number of support issues for 64bit users.  you essentially make it more difficuly and complicated fo 64bit users. 

So my idea isn't just to include the 64bit installer on the platform DVDs, but to improve the overall install path for 64bit users.  Those of us who are 64bit users can very easily end up in a situation where they need to uninstall LabVIEW or certain toolkits in order to install the 64bit version.  Partly because its not on the DVDs.  For example, I did this:

I installed LabVIEW and the VDM toolkit (32 bit version).

I realized later that I wanted the 64bit version of both.

I ended up having to uninstall a whole bunch of crap and then re-install with the 64bit versions.

In any case, I think there is a middle ground as X mentioned.  Maybe to include a separate 64bit DVD or something, because right now the install path for 64bit users is complex and difficult.

Brian_Powell
Active Participant

I was the technical lead for 64-bit LabVIEW.  At the time we released, 64-bit OS's were not very common.  There was reluctance from LabVIEW Product Marketing to include 64-bit LabVIEW on the Platform DVD when...

* Most users didn't need it

* No toolkits were supported

* There were caveats when using it with TestStand

* Most modules (especially Real-time and FPGA) were not supported

* (No longer as true, but at the time) 64-but user-mode support for most NI hardware drivers wasn't supported

I think there was a concern that by making 64-bit LabVIEW easier to get, we might be leading people down a path that won't work for them when they realize they need to use TestStand, LabVIEW Real-time, LabVIEW FPGA, the Database Toolkit, etc.

Most of these issues persist.  Do you still want 64-bit LabVIEW on the Platform DVD, even with all of these limitations?

My position:  Yes.  I gave a kudo.  I also give kudos to the other ideas that request that more toolkits and modules should be supported.

seeker169

Wow.  Color me stoopid.  I was in the midst of installing LV12 SP1 on my 64-bit machine from the Platform DVD when I read this.  In the past I've always gotten the install package from the web.  Little did I know I was installing a 32-bit app...

In retrospect the fact that it wanted to install into "Program Files (x86)" should have been a hint.  But certainly not a big enough one.  I agree with X.  At the *very* least there should be a warning for a system mismatch.  At best, of course, both versions should be included in the DVD set (in answer to Brian Powell).  I have both 32-bit and 64-bit systems I need to support.

Guess I get to unistall the whole darn thing, download the right version, and start over.  Yay.