LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ouadji

In Place Structure (Unbundle - Bundle)

In Place Structure (Unbundle - Bundle)

Please ... enable also the others!

it would be easier to swap between two inputs (or outputs)

SR7.png

In Place Structure (Unbundle - Bundle) should work like the behavior of the original Bundle-Unbundle,

like this,

SR6.png

10 Comments
PNR

I just tested in LabVIEW 2011: It is already possible to select any item in the IPS, however only once for each item! Try removing one element and look into the menu again.

EDIT: Had the feeling I missed an important point here, so I read your post a couple of times... You try to change places of one element of the Unbundle by another one right? Smiley Embarassed

You cannot have the same element twice in an IPS, since the whole point is to prevent data copies... Swapping their positions however is an interesting point.

Maybe we could get a dialog where we could change the order of items similar to a case structure? -> With options to drag-and-drop or 'Order By Name'

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast
You cannot have the same element twice in an IPS, since the whole point is to prevent data copies. you're right. It is indeed a difference between IPS-bundle-unbundle and the original bundle-unbundle. a dialog where we could change the order of items similar to a case structure? -> With options to drag-and-drop or 'Order By Name' very good idea !
ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

You try to change places of one element of the Unbundle by another one right?

yes.

You cannot have the same element twice in an IPS, since the whole point is to prevent data copies.

You are right. it is indeed a difference between IPS-bundle-unbundle and the original bundle-unbundle.

a dialog where we could change the order of items similar to a case structure? -> With options to drag-and-drop or 'Order By Name'

very good idea !!

Brian_Powell
Active Participant

I'm not sure I fully understand what this idea is.  I think there are a couple of different interpretations...

* Just wanting to change the order of the unbundle or rebundle, to avoid crossing wires if you want to swap items.

* Wanting to actually change the cluster order.

Is it one of these?  Can you clarify?

By the way, I vote no for either of these interpretations...

* I think there's benefit in not having to study how the unbundle and rebundle might be different on the left and right sides.  A crossed wire is actually a good visual indicator that I'm swapping something.

* An intended trait of the IPE structure is that the data going in and going out are in place.  Changing the cluster order means that the data type isn't the same any more, so it's possible that the two can't be in place.

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

The idea has nothing to do with cluster order, and the IPES does not care about cluster order.  You can (eventually) put the elements in any order you desire.  No suggestion is made to have the LHS and RHS order be different.

The issue is that reordering the elements is a bit difficult because you can not have the same element twice, you must remove one and then add it again somewhere else.

Reordering the elements would be a far better solution than this idea IMO. 

(And I never understood why Unbundle By Name allowed the same element multiple times.  It used to thwart recognition of the so-called "magic pattern" but I haven't checked recent versions).

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I understood it the same way Darin did. The reordering he referred to could probably be done as a right click option for "Move Up" and "Move Down", which will move the terminal (with its wire and corresponding terminal on the other side) one up or one down.

Nothing wrong with allowing the same element being selectable on multiple places in the IPES data container. LV should just temporarily break the VI until the situation has been resolved (until the swap is carried out fully in this case).

/Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
fabric
Active Participant

The inability to (temporarily) select an element more than once has always bugged me. It is a good example of the IDE trying to be smart but only really making a simple thing difficult in the end. 

I like Steen's proposal the best...

Intaris
Proven Zealot

Yeah, allow multiple selections but break the VI.  That'd be the most user-friendly option.

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

@Intaris : "Yeah, allow multiple selections but break the VI. That'd be the most user-friendly option."

+1

pouce_levé.gif