LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yamaeda

Improved error message when missing runtime

<bakground>So i just had a silly thing happen to me, i compiled a program and deployed it to the target computer, just like i did yesterday. Then it started complaining about a missing LV 2017 Runtime ... How? Why?

I reinstalled, repaired and it didn't help, both program and RT, several times and it didn't help.

I tested another program which started just fine, so what's missing? Is it some sub-package that my custom RT-installer didn't include?

I called NI and the support technician couldn't see anything wrong either, so with him on the phone i went to the development computer to look at some installer settings he had dug up. That's when i noticed i was in LV2017 64 bit! The messages said nothing about that! </background>

Suggestion:

Improve error messaging when missing RunTime. Include the bitness that's missing, now it only said "Missing LabVIEW RunTime 2017", if it had said "Missing LabVIEW RunTime 2017 (64 bit)" i would have reacted and understood directly, now it cost way too much time to admit. 😕

Also, isn't it time to scrap the 32 bit version and go only 64? 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
2 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

@Yamaeda wrote:

Also, isn't it time to scrap the 32 bit version and go only 64? 🙂

LV NXG is 64-bit only. LV 20xx has many users out in the world that still need 32-bit support. Our customer surveys suggest that will be true for many years to come.

Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

@aristosqueue yes I know/understand the 32-bit issue, though in many cases it's kind of a feedback loop. Some toolkits don't work in the 32 bit environment, so people are stuck with the 32 bit. 

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer