From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yamaeda

Improved error message when missing runtime

<bakground>So i just had a silly thing happen to me, i compiled a program and deployed it to the target computer, just like i did yesterday. Then it started complaining about a missing LV 2017 Runtime ... How? Why?

I reinstalled, repaired and it didn't help, both program and RT, several times and it didn't help.

I tested another program which started just fine, so what's missing? Is it some sub-package that my custom RT-installer didn't include?

I called NI and the support technician couldn't see anything wrong either, so with him on the phone i went to the development computer to look at some installer settings he had dug up. That's when i noticed i was in LV2017 64 bit! The messages said nothing about that! </background>

Suggestion:

Improve error messaging when missing RunTime. Include the bitness that's missing, now it only said "Missing LabVIEW RunTime 2017", if it had said "Missing LabVIEW RunTime 2017 (64 bit)" i would have reacted and understood directly, now it cost way too much time to admit. 😕

Also, isn't it time to scrap the 32 bit version and go only 64? 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
2 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

@Yamaeda wrote:

Also, isn't it time to scrap the 32 bit version and go only 64? 🙂

LV NXG is 64-bit only. LV 20xx has many users out in the world that still need 32-bit support. Our customer surveys suggest that will be true for many years to come.

Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

@aristosqueue yes I know/understand the 32-bit issue, though in many cases it's kind of a feedback loop. Some toolkits don't work in the 32 bit environment, so people are stuck with the 32 bit. 

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer