From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
ghighuphu

Improve the tool selection: Allow to cycle over all possible tools for the object using the <Tab> key, including "move the cursor"

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

Suggestion: Allow to cycle over all possible tools for the object using the <Tab> key, including "move the cursor", when any cursor is available in a plot.

The tools are already object sensitive, e.g., select a hand pointer (operating) and move among objects (you should see the hand changing to cursor above a text field (labeling) and to a magnifying glass above a plot). So, adding another tool, when above a plot (particularly the move cursor) should be not a major problem, should it? As well as removing the double labeling cursor, when looping above a text field.

Currently there is not other way to get the selector for moving a cursor, just have the Graph Palettes open (an ugly small thingy in the left corner of the plot) and choose the pointer with THE suitable tool (operating tool).

Cheers,

4 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Not sure I understand what you are talking about. I don't have any problem grabing a cursor in a graph even if the Graph Palette is hidden, provided the "Operate" (pointing hand) tool is selected.

ghighuphu
Active Participant

The "operate" tool has three modes in the graph: magnifying glass, grab cursor and move the plot inside the graph. The <Tab> ignores switching between them, it activates the mode, which was last selected in the Graph Palette. I do not know of any other keyboard shortcut switching between the three mentioned modes.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

OK, I was misled by your specific example. But you understand that it's your opinion only that the Graph Palette is an uglysmallthingy...

I suppose that the reason why you cannot tab through ALL possible tools associated with an object, unless you go through some pre-selection steps (as you described for the Graph objects) is INTENDED. In particular for the graph, there would be a lot of things to tab through potentially. All data representation and analysis software I use require you to select tools manually from a palette before you can do something (with possibly the ability to have some contextual options when over some specific area of the window). In other words, this is a pretty classic and natural convention.

I would recommend you clarify what your grief is with the current behavior, object by object, and what you would rather have. Right now, your description mixes text fields, graphs, "objects", etc and is a bit confusing, to me at least.

My 2 cts.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.