LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kosist90

Improve default shipping quick-drop for function insert Ctrl + I

The issue was caused by a third-party add-on. In the current LabVIEW release, the 'Insert' Quick Drop plugin properly inserts a node on a single selected wire segment.

Currently, while inserting node by default insert quick drop Ctrl + I, it inserts node without considering wire branching. Check the picture - first is target place, and second - where it is actually inserted. Using insert menu from right-click menu works fine, b/c it inserts function exactly to proper place.

Pic 01.pngPic 02.png

It would be nice to update this quick drop, to have the same behaviour, as non-quick drop functionality.

Sincerely, kosist90

12 Comments
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

This problem must have something to do with this information lacking in scripting. There is no way, AFAIK, to get the selected branch(es)... I'm all for improvement, on the scripting API and the QD.

elset191
Active Participant

What version are you using?  I'm in 2012 and have taught myself to avoid doing this.

This idea marked as completed claims the behavior was in 2013, but I have not verfied it.  It doesn't seem to work on my computer, but I am not sure I have the default Insert.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
kosist90
Active Participant
I use LG 2014 - 2017, and behavior is the same everywhere.
adambro

I'm not able to reproduce this issue on LV 2017.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Unable to reproduce in in LV2013 and LV2017.

Are you sure you're not selecting the entire wire?

elset191
Active Participant

Years ago I replaced the built-in Insert with a 'Replace or Insert' which I do not remember where I got it.  I'm guessing that's why I still have the issue when I try new versions of LV.  I can't speak for the other folks, though.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Works fine for me with LabVIEW 2016.  I don't have anything older at the moment to try out.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
kosist90
Active Participant

Works fine - means, it inserts after wire branching, as I had on screenshot? B/c this is real example, made in LV 2017...

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

@kosist90 wrote:

Works fine - means, it inserts after wire branching, as I had on screenshot? B/c this is real example, made in LV 2017...

Works fine: select a branch, press ctrl+space, name, ctrl+I, and the function is inserted in the selected branch.

Not sure why it doesn't work for you, but it seems to work for at least a few of us... It could be in some details, selection ordering, wiring ordering, etc..

Also a real example, LV 2013. VI:

Capture 1.PNG

Select branch:

Capture 2.PNG

QD, close file, ctrl+I:

Capture 3.PNG

Result, as expected: 

Capture 4.PNG

kosist90
Active Participant

Hurray! Finally I've found source of the issue.
Saphir toolkit (https://forums.ni.com/t5/SAPHIR-Toolkits-Documents/ViBox-Quick-Drop-datasheet/ta-p/3507939) made the problem. It replaced default quick drop (why???), and after that it didn't work properly. Now I took Insert.vi from LV 2013, copied it to LV 2017 - and insert works like a charm.

Is it possible to delete this idea then?