From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billko

Idea Exchange for NXG!

From AristosQueue: "I have passed this idea along to the Productization Leads (PLs) for LabVIEW NXG. Because this forum is specifically for LabVIEW 20xx, we will Decline this idea, but it will still be possible to add comments, including feedback from the PLs."

NXG needs an Idea Exchange.  The feedback button is a lame excuse for a replacement.  Why?

• I can't tell if my idea has been suggested before.  (And maybe someone else's suggestion is BETTER and I want to sign onto it, instead.)
  • NI has to slog through bunches of similar feedback submissions to determine whether or not they are the same thing.
  • Many ideas start out as unfocused concepts that are honed razor sharp by the community.
  • This is an open loop feedback system.

Let's make an Idea Exchange for NXG!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
8 Comments
Mads
Active Participant

The problem with this is that at this stage it is likely to lead to a storm of ideas for things that we already have in LabVIEW 2019 (or since version 7 or earlier!).  And complaints about how NXG changes everything, including the best things of LabVIEW etc.

Until NI thinks NXG has reached "parity" with the current generation, my guess is that they do not want to have the "noise" from an Idea Exchange. Personally I support the idea though😉

billko
Proven Zealot

Sometimes I forget that I am only looking at from my narrowed perception of how it affects me.

In department meetings that I participate in, oftentimes solutions that solves my issue doesn't work well with another area, so a compromise solution - which doesn't particularly satisfy either party - has to be reached.

For instance, production has a requirement they are having a difficult time reaching.  It's meaningless because it happens well inside the unit, at a board level, and a typical DVT measurement somehow became a requirement written in stone.  My suggestion: eliminate the requirement.  I just eliminate a test from the test suite, and wash my hands of it.

However, our customer-facing liaison is going to have a hard time selling why we suddenly need to eliminate a requirement that we are suddenly not making.

The compromise?  Loosen the requirement to something fairly ridiculous.

The result?  Our liaison to the customer gets a small black eye from suggesting to loosen the requirement, production still needs to test for a requirement that doesn't affect the unit in any way, I have to release a new software revision to test to the new requirement (pending customer approval).  So... the customer has a frown, the customer liaison has a frown, production has a frown, as do I.

For all you young, green engineers just out of college - yes, this is the way things happen sometimes.  That, and sometimes design choices between competing designs of roughly equal merit are made simply by "coin toss" because it costs more for a room full of engineers to debate the issue than to actually design the thing.  And then, of course, the assembler scratches his head as to why all the cables for this unit uses this kind of heat-shrink tubing except for this one cable - which uses "snakeskin" wrapping instead.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Tepig
Active Participant

I strongly agree with this idea. We can submit a feedback from "FEEDBACK" button on NXG window but, we cannot share the idea...

There might be many duplicated feedback, bug report etc...

I guess it would be hard for NI to handle those many items well.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions

GCentral
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I have passed this idea along to the Productization Leads (PLs) for LabVIEW NXG. Because this forum is specifically for LabVIEW 20xx, we will Decline this idea, but it will still be possible to add comments, including feedback from the PLs.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

From AristosQueue: "I have passed this idea along to the Productization Leads (PLs) for LabVIEW NXG. Because this forum is specifically for LabVIEW 20xx, we will Decline this idea, but it will still be possible to add comments, including feedback from the PLs."

crossrulz
Knight of NI

So since this forum is for LabVIEW 20XX, are all of those ideas that were closed due to "Implemented in NXG" going to be reopened?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> So since this forum is for LabVIEW 20XX, are all of those ideas

> that were closed due to "Implemented in NXG" going to be reopened?

No. We only closed things as "Implemented in NXG" when we had no intention of ever doing them in 20xx. We may close other proposed ideas that way in the future.

billko
Proven Zealot

Sorry, everyone.  I'm just very enthusiastic about the direction NXG is heading in.  I guess you can tell...?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)