LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KHartley

Hovering over a tunnel should show the context help for the wire

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

When you hover over a wire it shows the context help the wire. If you hover over a tunnel for the wire with the wiring tool it only shows the structure in context help instead of wire contexts help. 

Can this be updated to show the wires context?

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

4 Comments
CMal
Active Participant

The problem with this is that a tunnel does not belong to any specific wire.  On a loop boundary, each tunnel has two terminals, one for the inner wire and one for the outer wire.  The two wires are not the same, as they could be slightly different data types, different type definitions, or the same data type with different wire labels.  On a case structure boundary, the number of terminals on a tunnel can be much larger, since there is one inner terminal for each case.  How should LabVIEW decide which wire to use for the context help description?

altenbach
Knight of NI

Only the output wire is always unique, so showing the datatype of the output wire would make the most sense. (That is also the color that the tunnel adapts, e.g. with orange and blue inputs, depending on case, the tunnel and the output is orange).

The context help could show an alert if there are coercions in some cases. Currently, we cannot tell, unless we are actually looking at a case where coercion occurs.

It actually would be cool if we could distiguish a clean tunnel from a tunnel that has coercions in some cases, no matter what case we are looking at, but that might be a seperate idea. (e.g. the tunnel could have a red frame)

simplemaan

I kudoed this before I read it closely apparently.  I agree with the comment about tunnels.  On the other hand, having the context help display information about any wire, such as the wire label, description and data type would be useful.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.