LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asbo

Horizontal Scroll Hotkey

Re-opening because of a request to reconsider this functionality for LabVIEW now that LabVIEW NXG has been discontinued.

By default, the mouse scroll wheel scrolls the block diagram or front panel vertically, CTRL+SCROLL scrolls through cases/events/sequences and adding the SHIFT modifer to either accelerates the scroll. In order to scroll horizontally, however, the mouse has to be hovering over the horizontal scrollbar. Because of the predominant left-to-right, top-to-bottom style of diagram organization, it would be excellent to have a more accessible way to scroll horizontally.

I haven't found anywhere ALT+SCROLL is used - I think horizontal scrolling is a good candidate to fill that spot.

31 Comments
ZharV

If you need to move quickly to a far end of your VI you can use Navigation Window (Ctrl+Shift+N).

I also tried ctrl+shift, but hand tool moves objects too. So it is hard sometimes to see to it that you haven't moved or even spoiled something.

asbo

ZharV, that's a good alternative. I've never really used the Nav Window, it's a pretty unobtrusive way to move around quickly.

bennymacca
When you think about it, it is patently ridiculous that you cant do this. As a new labview user it strikes me as almost unfathomable that there isnt a way of doing this. I like altium designer's solution (im sure there are others) Ctrl mouse wheel = zoom hold middle click down and move mouse up = zoom in right click - brings up their equivalent of a hand tool so you can pan easily. (could make this middle click in labview) shift mouse wheel - left-right scrolling. faster scrolling with shift-wheel just doesnt seem necessary given most of our programs are left-right and that isnt even implemented.
altenbach
Knight of NI

> When you think about it, it is patently ridiculous that you cant do this. As a new labview user it strikes me as almost unfathomable that there isnt a way of doing this.

Scrolling the diagram in any direction is a rare opration on a well designed diagram, especially on a typical 1080p+ monitor. If you constantly need to scroll, something is wrong with your programming style. A typical diagram should fit on a single screen. Are you programming on a tiny netbook?

xl600
Active Participant

I'll vote for this as well.  Being a heavy user of both Altium and Visio, hot key + scroll is essential (EX: <shift>+scroll wheel for horizontal scrolling, <ctrl>+scroll wheel for zoom).  Yes, I know LV doesn't zoom (I kinda wish it would), but horizontal scroll wheel movement is needed badly.

I also understand the desire to 'fit' diagrams on one screen, but that just isn't a reality when maintaining someone elses code or working with example VIs.  Just look at some of those NI examples for some really extreme cases.  Especially the image acquisition examples or some of the FPGA items.

fffrune

Please add support for this!  I clench my teeth in frustration every time I try to scroll horizontally (which is about every fifteen minutes)!  I would write this in all caps but that would not serve the cause.  Just know that I am actually yelling at the screen.

And @altenbach, I agree that a good block diagram should all fit on one screen.  That is my policy too.  However I'm not always using my own code or starting from scratch.  For example, many MANY LV examples won't fit on one screen no matter how large your monitor.  So I think you can't say that this feature would not be useful.

ronbrown

CTRL-ALT-SPACEBAR is ingrained into my muscle memory at this point, but horizontal scrolling would be a lovely feature, especially for well-designed sub-VIs that make heavy use of ActiveX property and invoke nodes.

A coworker informed me today that you CAN use the scroll wheel for horizontal scrolling if your mouse cursor is over the horizontal scrollbar.  Handy, but less-than-ideal.  

As for @altenbach's comment of:

Scrolling the diagram in any direction is a rare opration on a well designed diagram

All I can say is that crashing into the ocean is a rare operation for airplanes, but they still put floatation devices in the seats.

JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

A coworker informed me today that you CAN use the scroll wheel for horizontal scrolling if your mouse cursor is over the horizontal scrollbar.  Handy, but less-than-ideal.

This was mentioned in the description of this almost 7 years old idea.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Nice to read that the idea is in development !