LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pie56694

Highlight the Entire Wire with Key or Click Combination

I would like a key or click combination to highlight the entire wire.  Structure borders are brick walls for the highlight feature, so you must follow the wire to the structure, then double-click the other side of the tunnel in order to continue tracing the data flow.

For example, if I double click to the right of the While Loop, I get this:

2010-02-24_161326.png

What I want to get is this:

2010-02-24_161539.png

What do you all do when you're tracing wires through structures? 

11 Comments
Gaulinmp

I think from a code tracing standpoint this is a key feature. Many times when I am working with someone else's code I want to find where booleans come from, and if there are nested structures this becomes a laborious process. It may be the case that on either side of a tunnel the wire is different, both in data type and memory location, but in understanding someone else's codebase the intent is not to change the wire but instead trace it. What if this feature did not let you edit the wire once a terminal transition was included in the selection?

As to the bundle/unbundle, I don't think this is the same issue at all. From a code tracing point of view you want the select to stop at functional VIs, however tunnels are not 'functional' in terms of understanding code flow (auto-indexing is questionable here). This would also solve the stacked structure problem, whichever diagram is showing has the wire highlighted (if it passes through). As the case/structure/event is changed, the highlighting changes to apply to that specific structure (depending on where the wire was clicked to highlight would dictate in which direction the continuity is maintained). Example below (supposing the quadruple click is the solution).

Continuous Select Example