LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ClaudioH

Highlight Execution like breakpoint

Hi,

Sometimes we have to check the execution of just a part of a long VI and I use to do is:

- set a breakpoint just before the part,

- run the VI,

- wait for the breakpoint,

- set highlight

- and follow the execution.

I believe that would be nice to set the highlight just like breakpoint clicking over the wire and, when the execution reaches it, show the execution.

LV_Lamp.jpg

CHCastro
12 Comments
JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

A stop highlight function could also be useful in some cases to highlight a part of the code without additional actions.

ClaudioH

Hi JB,

Did you mean, to be able to set the point when start highlight and stop it?

I think that this is a good idea too.

Cheers.

CHCastro
JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Claudio H a écrit :
Did you mean, to be able to set the point when start highlight and stop it ?

Yes, this is exactly what I meant.

JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

One additional idea : at this point, we will need a Highlight Manager (like the Breakpoint Manager).

Ray.R
Knight of NI

I like the idea of a start / stop highlight feature..  Nice enhancement!

wireman

I was thinking this exact thought earlier today! Glad someone already suggested it!

ooth

Too bad this is idea is over 2 years old and still isn't implemented. I wish for this every day!

SeanDonner
Active Participant

This must be a difficult feature to implement because it's just too usefull to not already have implemented it otherwise.  This would rapidly reduce debugging time as I wouldnt have to constantly pause & unpause breakoints.

Manzolli
Active Participant

Following the Ray.R idea It would be nice to set a region where the highlight is on. This would make the code slow only there.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
jwscs
Active Participant

i would love to see a feature like this

• start highlight "breakpoint" (w or w/o retain wire values)
  • stop highlight "breakpoint" (w/ option to wait there, like a real breakpoint)
  • integration into the breakpoint manager functionality (like removing all highlight-breakpoints)

For me setting a breakpoint, then turning highlight execution on became quite bothersome on xControls.

And i am wondering, why not more ppl have this need (or kudoed this idea at least).

regards jwscs

<edit>

similar problem, different suggestion to go about it (about 270 kudos)

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/User-defined-partial-Highlight-Execution/idi-p/917701

</edit>

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.