From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ClaudioH

Highlight Execution like breakpoint

Hi,

Sometimes we have to check the execution of just a part of a long VI and I use to do is:

- set a breakpoint just before the part,

- run the VI,

- wait for the breakpoint,

- set highlight

- and follow the execution.

I believe that would be nice to set the highlight just like breakpoint clicking over the wire and, when the execution reaches it, show the execution.

LV_Lamp.jpg

CHCastro
12 Comments
JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

A stop highlight function could also be useful in some cases to highlight a part of the code without additional actions.

ClaudioH

Hi JB,

Did you mean, to be able to set the point when start highlight and stop it?

I think that this is a good idea too.

Cheers.

CHCastro
JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Claudio H a écrit :
Did you mean, to be able to set the point when start highlight and stop it ?

Yes, this is exactly what I meant.

JB
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

One additional idea : at this point, we will need a Highlight Manager (like the Breakpoint Manager).

Ray.R
Knight of NI

I like the idea of a start / stop highlight feature..  Nice enhancement!

wireman

I was thinking this exact thought earlier today! Glad someone already suggested it!

ooth

Too bad this is idea is over 2 years old and still isn't implemented. I wish for this every day!

SeanDonner
Active Participant

This must be a difficult feature to implement because it's just too usefull to not already have implemented it otherwise.  This would rapidly reduce debugging time as I wouldnt have to constantly pause & unpause breakoints.

Manzolli
Active Participant

Following the Ray.R idea It would be nice to set a region where the highlight is on. This would make the code slow only there.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
jwscs
Active Participant

i would love to see a feature like this

• start highlight "breakpoint" (w or w/o retain wire values)
  • stop highlight "breakpoint" (w/ option to wait there, like a real breakpoint)
  • integration into the breakpoint manager functionality (like removing all highlight-breakpoints)

For me setting a breakpoint, then turning highlight execution on became quite bothersome on xControls.

And i am wondering, why not more ppl have this need (or kudoed this idea at least).

regards jwscs

<edit>

similar problem, different suggestion to go about it (about 270 kudos)

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/User-defined-partial-Highlight-Execution/idi-p/917701

</edit>

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.