From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Manzolli

Highlight Execution Should Not Disappear

Any idea that has received less than 8 kudos within 8 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I was quite surprised that no one wrote a suggestion about this yet, at least I didn't find after doing a search.

Sometimes, when Highlight Execution is on, you need to see a portion of the code that is not in the screen. Doing a scroll to see the desired code, part of the code being showed goes away, with the values shown by the Highlight Execution. If you bring back that portion of the code that was on the screen originally, the Highlight Execution values will not be there. You need to wait until next turn to see new values, or put probes in the wires to see then right away. Sometimes we need to see the FP or put any other screen over the BD. The result is the same, the Highlight Execution values will be gone.

The idea is to have an option to make the Highlight Execution values stick until you turn the Highlight Execution off.

Another interesting idea is to do implement the idea above and add a button to clear the Highlight Execution values anytime you want. Then the values could remain even after the execution being stopped. The advantage of this idea is that you will be able to edit the code with the values of the last execution on. May look messy, but you just need to press the clear button and all values will be removed, not a problem. With this concept it will be easy to save a screen (print screen) with Highlight Execution values on. Probably this also reduce the amount of probes needed in a daily basis.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
9 Comments
CMal
Active Participant

Manzolli,

Have you tried using the "Retain Wire Values" button?  If you press this button before running a VI in highlight execution, all the wire values in the VI will be available to be probed.

Chris M 

Manzolli
Active Participant

Sure I tried. But have you ever tried to probe dozens of wires? Not only takes time but your screen get flooded of probe windows.

The idea is to see what is going on in many points. I think this is why the Highlight Execution exists.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
battler.
Active Participant

What I hate about highlight execution is the slow response. 

Why is that?  Is it computationally intensive?  It shouldn't be..

Manzolli
Active Participant
Hi battler, the idea to solve this question is posted here allow for highlight execution speed selection
André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Jared7

I just started learning LabView, and one of my first surprises was that the values shown on 'Highlight Execution' are cleared after execution ends! It forces the user to panickly read and memorize all shown values before they're cleared. This would be a nice debugging aid if this was added. This doesn't seem like it should be too hard a feature to implement...

Manzolli
Active Participant

Agre, but why not yet? See that an idea from 2010 is considered new!

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> Agre, but why not yet? See that an idea from 2010 is considered new!

Because there are 3,441 New ideas on the exchange, we have completed 83 in 5 years, which means about 10 each year, sometimes more, sometimes less. That's the bandwidth that the R&D team has. This one has very few kudos, so it stays in the New bucket until kudos or resources increase. 

Manzolli
Active Participant

Now I understand what "new" means. Thanks.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 8 kudos within 8 years after posting will be automatically declined.