LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hooovahh

High Resolution Relative Seconds on Palette

Implemented in LabVIEW 2014

The High Resolution Relative Seconds VI has been around since LabVIEW 2010 and according to Darren is cross platform.

So what reason is there to not have this get more exposure on the palette?  Admittedly I still use the tick count for just about everything I do, but I think bringing this function the Timing palette would help those who ask about more accurate timing needs.

The only argument I can see, is that new users of LabVIEW are going to want to wait X microseconds and turn a digital line high and low, and be confused when Windows isn't consistent.  But this argument can be used for the normal timing functions too, because Windows non-deterministic.

5 Comments
JÞB
Knight of NI

to the best of my knowledge It is a hardware issue.  Not all computers have a precision timer.  they are not required for the OS to work and some low-end machines limp by fine without one.  Having it on the pallatte would put it in the class of "Functions that just might not work for you or your app" 

Nice to know its there if you do know it will work for you but the pallatte commitee probably made a good choice----for now. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Beta

JÞB
Knight of NI

Please download "Hidden gems"   it is right  there!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Implemented in LabVIEW 2014