LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
another-roohcifer

Hidden event data nodes shouldn't fail the Wires Under Objects VI Analyzer test

This is tracked by Bug 2182173, which I expect to be fixed in the next release. The fix is in the VI Analyzer test code, Wires Under Objects.llb, which will now check the visibility of the event data node.

I spent a good chunk of time yesterday trying to find out why I was getting a Wires Under Objects VI Analyzer failure, and after much paring down of code and fiddling with wires it turned out to be a hidden event data node that was running over a wire.  Below is a simple reproducing example; the second image is identical to the first, except that the event node has been hidden (but not moved).  Both of the images below fail the Wires Under Objects test, and my argument is that the one on the right should not fail that test.

Event node visibleEvent node visibleEvent node hiddenEvent node hidden

The point of the feature "hide the event data node" is so that I, as a LabVIEW developer, no longer have to worry about it cluttering my block diagram and it running into/over other items.  However, hiding it ultimately results in me still worrying about where it is hidden because it running into/over other items still turns out to matter when I run static code analysis. From this POV, this is a bug, and the VI analyzer test shouldn't fail.

This POV is also consistent with the way that hiding for/while loop iteration terminals operates.  In the images below (again, the second image is identical to the first, where the iteration terminal has been hidden but not moved), ONLY the left image fails the same VI Analyzer test, and this is the behavior I'd like to see with the hidden event node:

While with node.pngWhile no node.png

5 Comments
JimChretz
Active Participant

I think this belongs to bug fixes rather than ideas exchange.

another-roohcifer

I originally had opened a bug report SR for this issue with just the event data node example, and the TSE pushed back saying it was a feature (with the reasoning that objects are objects, hidden or otherwise) and suggested that I post to the Idea Exchange, so here I am. I am pushing back on the SR with the while loop example that I found after getting the original response from the TSE, and the TSE is now escalating it. If a moderator deems this post to be on the wrong forum, I invite them to move it. If there is a bug fixes forum, that's news to be, and I would welcome it! Please point me to it, as I can't seem to find it on the NI site or via Google.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

> it was a feature (with the reasoning that objects are objects, hidden or otherwise) 

I don't use VI Analyser, but +1 just for the silliness of this...

Christina_R
Active Participant
Status changed to: Declined

This is tracked by Bug 2182173, which I expect to be fixed in the next release. The fix is in the VI Analyzer test code, Wires Under Objects.llb, which will now check the visibility of the event data node.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
another-roohcifer

Woo! Thanks 🙂