LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Henrik_Volkers

Grouping blockdiagram objects

Dear NI,

I can group frontpanel objects, but it's not possible in the blockdiagram. 

Sometimes I place graphics behind indicators and/or controls. Same I do in the blockdiagram for documentation and orientation .  In the frontpanel I can group (and even lock) these elements, but not in the diagram 😞

So with all these autostretch features my diagram graphic arrangement get disturbed 😞

I would like  to have a grouping option in the diagram.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

9 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

One concern: when you CTRL+Drag any item in a group on the Front Panel, the entire group is copied. This could be a good thing for the BD, but it also easily be abused. Grouped code segments copy-and-pasted everywhere... It could make SubVI design less attractive compared to the quick and easy copy-and-paste.

Other than that, I like the idea. From time to time, I instinctively try to group BD objects in order to do an alignment operation.

Message Edited by JackDunaway on 03-01-2010 09:00 AM
altenbach
Knight of NI

We also need to define what should happen during diagram cleanup. My feeling is that grouped objects should be considered a single unit.

How about the ability to lock/unlock on the diagram? 

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

I like this idea because I could see using it to prevent accidental changing of code (lock/unlock), and for alignment operations. It would also be a good mechanism to keep code looking a certain way, untouched by block diagram cleanup.

Still, I have not voted "Yes" until now because I could envision it doing more harm than good in the overall scheme of things as a copy-and-paste on steroids. Could this be the next sequence structure, or local variable?

(And if this idea is not implemented, at least get rid of the greyed-out option to Lock/Unlock Group/Ungroup on the BD Reorder Button so it's not tempting! 🙂 )

AnandKod
NI Employee (retired)

Well..., if i understood it correctly,  there's already a lock/unlock mechanism in LV2009. You can right-click on any structure and click on 'Exclude from Diagram Cleanup'. This prevents the size and contents of that structure (including the border nodes, i.e. tunnels etc.) from being moved (relative to the structur) by Diagram Cleanup. But this doesn't prevent the structure itself being moved.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
A true "Lock/Unlock" feature I think should prevent moving, accidental editing, in addition to forcing "Exclude from Diagram Cleanup".
AnandKod
NI Employee (retired)

ah... got it... lock/unlock on any editing operation.

( Wow!!! I can't fathom the kind problem this 'lock/unlock' is going to create for the Diagram Cleanup...  )

Message Edited by Anand K on 03-11-2010 12:39 PM
Henrik_Volkers
Trusted Enthusiast

I don't think I need my grouped items nailed to a specific pixel position in the diagram, more like that the group is handled like one item in all actions (auto grow/clean up/.... even user action , one click /del and the group is trashed).

For the aligning it's just one big item.  And the prevent from cleanup is included by definition.

I maybe see a use case for a regional lock of diagram code , where you want to enable the user to write own code only into defined areas in the diagram, without messing the rest.... but I think I would find ways to only present him a subvi for messing.  

So a simple grouping of diagram items is just fine 🙂

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Henrik_Volkers
Trusted Enthusiast

What about a group resizing? Having resizing symbols in the corners of a group to spread them? 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

CM411

Good Idea, I have posted aprrox. the same idea here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Frame-to-group-comment-and-highlight-parts-of-a-blockd...

It shoud be included into LabbView so fast as possible !