LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mads

Globals that can be created during run-time and accessed by name (i.e. native Current-Value-Table/VIRegisters)

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

There are lots of people who are working on solutions to be able to dynamically create a storage space for a variable and access it by its name. Publically we have the Current Value Table and the VIRegister, but behind the scenes I'm sure people are recreating this wheel quite often (instatiation of functional globals e.g.). Shared variables offer some of this functionality, but it is not quite the same, nor is the way they are accessed as user friendly as the CVT/VIRegister.

The problem when implementing these with the existing primitives however is the fact that no matter how much you try the solution will have performance issues and be less user-friendly due to lack of full polymorphism. People will continue to improve their solutions within the limits of the tools they have available, but why not provide an optimal solution for such a common architectural element instead - by adding this as a set of primitives/in-built functions?

(The tag engine of the DSC module might be a close relative to this, but is it too close?)

4 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I don't like this idea. My thoughts on the issue are posted on this thread in the LAVA forums.

Mads
Active Participant

So you do not like and/or see the use for things like the CVT or a tag engine? I get a lot of good work done in LabVIEW with such tools and I have yet to see any alternatives that provide the same flexibility and scalability. If they existed I would not be stranger to using them, by all means, but where are they? Why do so many people still strive to create by-reference solutions in LV when the alternatives are so much better? 

All tools can be misused, but even the most dangeous ones can be invaluable in some cases. It is of little help to not have them at all.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I tried to get a discussion started on this during Christmas break but with little success... Good luck!

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.