LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim_Kring

Give me a “modal when called” Front Panel / Window behavior or I will Kill LabVIEW (taskkill /f /im LabVIEW.exe)

We need a “modal when called” behavior where the VI is NOT modal when the VI is not currently running (being called). Otherwise, accidentally opening the VI during development while the main VI is running will make it so you can’t interact with any other front panels, block diagrams, or any other LabVIEW windows; and you’re stuck — you have to kill LabVIEW from task manager or cmd.exe (taskkill /f /im LabVIEW.exe)

2020-12-11_12-28-19.png

My work-around is to add this little snippet of code that uses a Floating behavior in development and a Modal behavior in a built application (EXE).

2020-12-11_12-34-49.png

17 Comments
JÞB
Knight of NI

@Derrick 

Yes there is a reason for saving a vi as Modal when Idle.  It excerizes the CTRL, ALT and Delete keys! Hooray for Mr. Brady!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Broken_Arrow
Active Participant

Would using a separate vi that traverses through the running VIs and lets you Abort them be better than ctrl+alt+del when this happens?

Good idea and good work-around too.

Richard

sth
Trusted Enthusiast Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

the utility "Close some modal VIs" does just that.  It should be handy to everyones work setup.

Close Some Modal Running VIs

I have had this in my LabVIEW doc folder for a LONG time.  I *think* it was build but Alexandre Lacoste in 2001.

-Scott

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

dj_tony

i have a VI set "run when opened" that aborts all VI in memory. with a link in the quick launch bar. so if i'm stuck (from code made from previous programmers) i'll click the link to VI and not need to kill LV anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

@dj_tony: Just an FYI: LabVIEW 2021 is going to put some roadblocks in the way of the "run when opened" function. It'll still work, but you'll need to approve it.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-2021-Public-Beta/New-Feature-quot-Run-When-Opened-quot-Security-War...

dj_tony

@AristosQueue thanks for the information. have had so many surprises switching from 2013 to 2020. don't know if i'll go for 2021.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

You know, there's a lot fewer surprises if you upgrade each year. And, I promise, there's good stuff in each version! 🙂